Wednesday, May 30, 2007

tough runs and transcendence, not necessarily in that order

Maybe it was the motivation, but on Sunday, the need to put emotional distance between me and the primordial family forces took me out to the road and on the loop I love to run late in the day when I reach the long straight stretch home on Park Road.
Its a 4 laner with a grass divide, and very little traffic. It cruises on and on seemingly forever, a perfect stretch to practice pacing, to go long and fast, rock out to the music and really stretch my legs. The podcast I used was the fastest I have so the entire loop was at max. It was transcendent; I was strong. I flew with the wind and came in to the building in a blinding ball of light. I played out my best energy and troughed since then, apparently pushing to a limit that will take some time to assimilate.
Rest on Monday, with strength training and stretching, then back to the 7's yesterday, today and tomorrow. The mornings are beautiful...edgy with mild turbulent wind, sun, clouds, threatening to rain, backing off, just warm enough to go with minimum clothes (at last) and feel the air all over. I've slogged through both runs so far, but toughing it out....the strength base is there, and whatever those 'fibers' are doing to grow, or twitch or switch or whatever they do, I'm sure with the proper nutrition and rest, it will get there....I'm accumulating pictures, quotes and any source of advice and inspiration for the marathon. It may be far away, but I know one day I will be faced with the reality of signing up for it and having it stare me in the face for real. Then the commitment I profess will be tested....and the time to push through tough times or transcendence arrive.

No comments: