Monday, August 13, 2012

Homage to the Olympics: Sunday run 8-12-12

As I tried to shake sleep and pull dreams back from the night,  something compelled me to get the heck out of bed:  when I checked Facebook,  Marlon (thanks!!) posted that the men's marathon was starting...by the time I tuned in, they were about mile 17, and the 2 Kenyans and 1 Ugandan were in a tight bunch at the lead.   Think of the most grueling physical effort you have ever done.  Now imagine whatever that is,  doing it for a very long time or distance, full-out.   I watched as these 3 uber-runners lifted their long legs in a stride that blew those miles into dust, as they rounded in and among the many historical sites in London.  The back story is that the 3 train together (as many do) and now it was a race to see how the medals would stack up. 

Somewhere after mile 20 the Ugandan pulls out from around a corner and just puts on the speed!  Soon there is a lot of daylight between him and the 2 Kenyans who suddenly have looks on their faces like,  "uh oh"....and start pumping fast trying to catch up.  The Ugandans have never reached gold, and like many African runners,  hardship and triumph over incredible odds got this one to this point.  You could see the shift in his effort once he got within a mile or so of the finish and realized:  he had it...his expression opened and his gait, while still speedy, seemed to relax.  He came into the line and like many, running with his country's flag draped around his arms, dropped to his knees and kissed the ground.

Now that it was too late to start a longer long run,  I quickly packed my gear and headed out to John Lloyd state park.   Basing out of my favorite spot at the end of the road,  I mingled with a large group of tri-athletes just coming out of the ocean and climbing on their very nice bikes...as I began my run down the road I needed to pay attention to the knots of riders, other runners and even a few bladers- not to mention the cars coming in for the beach- for space on the narrow road.   Most everyone was young; but once in a while I'd catch a grey-head like me:  I sent a silent "thank-you" to the running gods which give me this gift to have my health, my strength to put it out there like I do, no matter my age or ability!

Lately,  despite some lag in my miles or overall endurance, I am feeling the boost from these magical stretches where suddenly it almost feels as if I am 'lifted' from gravity, as my legs move effortlessly, even if for a small stretch.  That feeling of freedom makes all the other parts of the run worhwhile....as I headed down to the gate and turned back.   The heat was full on...I did not stop this time to shoot pics:  I wanted to get back to my car and get into the water as soon as I could!

La Mer....what can I say?  I have a love affair with the ocean....as She unfolds Herself below me off the quiet cove...the sea gulls loudly hunting in the surf, the sun glints like diamonds off the water.  I walk into the swell and fall into the sweet, cool sensation...absorbing all the power of Mother Gaia to rest within,  to mingle my sorrows with Hers,  to heal my wounds- with Her- to help Her as She helps me see - and feel- the inter-connection of our metaphysical lives.

Finally, as I lay on the sand and watch the sky,   I feel the deep peace of being.   For all the effort those Olympians put into 4 years (and more) to prepare for their performances,  there is, in the end, only fallible humans who go out and lift, dance, throw, tumble and run because something in them loves that movement, that energy which catapults them forward in some way.   Their best efforts are still a remembrance of long hours on the roads, in the gym....working to perfect the signals between mind and body, and just how the body will respond.

There is an Olympian within us all.   Until you dig deep and find your ultimate limits, you have no idea how far you can push into your goals.   We are too often lazy this way,  conditioned to expect the comforts that keep us locked into small increments of change.  If there is one lesson I take from London,  it is anything IS possible....! if you work for it,  and cultivate it like it was your prized possession;  the gift that is given to us to STRIVE....is our desire to GROW.   As we grow, we find ourselves further down the road one day, looking back and wondering just how we got here!  Revel in your accomplishments!  Give yourself a 'medal' for your hard work today!!  And thank The Mother who supports you, loves you,  nourishes you....remember HOW and WHY we do what we do; never just for ourselves.  We elevate everyone and every thing.  She will remember. 

No comments: