Monday, December 5, 2011

Repetition and Resistance: Long Run 12-4-11

From here on out,  all the miles on the Plan are longer ones.  With the past few beach loops coming in just under half-marathon distance, I decided to repeat it with a bit added to see if I could become more comfortable with 13ish and thus have a half-marathon within my reach.  I headed out at dawn into a very stiff wind blowing off the ocean and directly into my face as I made my way east, then north to catch Dania Beach Blvd and the cut down to Surf Rd.  Since resistance running is like hill running,  I knew this was good for me,  and I had better stamina with it than I've had in a while.  The blustery, scuttling clouds kept changing the landscape of light-  and the few runners and bikers did not look any more energetic than I was.

But there was the ocean, and the path south, the surf crashing high and the music in my ears drowned out with the onslaught of winds.  I was still feeling ok and made it down to North Park in one fell swoop (no Publix stop today!).   As I took my time rehydrating, filling my bottles, etc,  I stretched and headed out up the intercoastal bridge.   The wind, now at my back, gave me the extra push I needed to keep up a decent gait as I made the cut left to catch the back streets parallel to Sheridan.  Here I meandered an extra bit to once again pick up Taft and come up to home.   I walked some of the last miles to cool it down, as the sun, now full up, gave me a warm second half.  Taking my time, enjoying the views, with the wind, pit-stop and all,  I made it in about 3+hours (better!!).

A straight half-marathon (13.2) mile shot is about what my body feels it can handle without ultimate meltdown.  Sure I might be able to keep extending (and no doubt I might try a time or two).   But what I really look for is enough of a long run to really challenge me without killing me- and let's face it,  won't take up my whole day!  And better still,  once home and onto my chores etc,  I noticed much less 'complaint' from my body.  Tired, yes.  But not, as sometimes happens, completely done.

Working with resistance means accepting what direction the winds are blowing, and knowing that a change in direction will come along, either on Nature's side or our own.  When in those first miles with the wind in my face it FEELS as if it will never end;  I am being pummeled and 'punished' by these winds!!  When in fact the atmosphere is on its own schedule, and running into the wind is making me pretty strong!  Repetition gives us mastery.  What felt impossible a month ago is now pretty comfortable, as the experience of staying in motion 13ish miles is beginning to feel normal.  Lots of running, like life, is about transforming the strange and new into the 'new' normal.

I'm happy that lots of things are synching up into new routines, which I need to ground and stabilize the inner circus which is in high gear sorting out the world's affairs.   Now I can say I feel my Center returning, and the conviction to keep it simple during the wrap up of this year.  For complicated me, this feels pretty amazing.

No comments: