Monday, November 28, 2011

Long Run Beach loop 11-27-11

16 miles is a big haul;  I mentally mapped out what that would entail, even with the beach loop, but adding a detour into Hollywood to come back home from the south.  16 is also way beyond my usual reach-  the longest I've logged so far is about 14, and with lots of walking.  I decided to take it as it goes and adjust if needed.

It was a really glorious morning, clear and cool, and the lead up to my Dania cut off was uneventful.  The traffic was light and the morning sun was full on my face as I headed east.  Once I made the cut and proceeded along Dania Blvd, I shared the path/roads with all the other bikers, and bladers, and a few runners heading in my direction.   The intercoastal came up on my right and as I came down off the bridge, the Dania beach rolled out before me as I cut the corner to catch Surf Rd,  and my North Park pit-stop.  I was about 7 miles in and feeling pretty tired, all too soon negotiating with myself about the rest of the run.

There are so many fit, fabulous runners out there,  young, strong, tireless....it's impossible not to compare myself and wish I had their stamina, their lighter-than-air musculature, whatever that magic formula is that makes distance runners able to just go and go...while the turtles like me, slog along, trying to find the groove.  So I thought as I decided to take the Sheridan bridge and cut down from there, instead of attempting to run all the way down a crowded broadwalk to Hollywood.  Once I found my side road, I kept heading west while making occasional cuts south to catch Taft and the closest means of getting under the Interstate.  I had a nice, if very slow stretch in this area,  distracted as I love to get, by the houses, landscapes...and allow my dreams of future house/office/studio/garden
to percolate.  As I neared home and realized I would come well under the 16 I decided that had to be ok;  there was no sense in torturing myself.

Much as I theoretically love those big distances,  my body is clearly telling me I now have some limits- and to disrespect this will come at my peril I know.   Since I told myself I would decide something about Miami by now,  it looks like if I do any racing it will be a half- not a full-marathon.  And that's if I care enough to race at all.   For what I loved most yesterday was getting lost in those back streets,  cruising along without a time clock, without a time limit, and free to move at my own pace and rhythm.  Do I really want to add stress to that?  Why not allow the run to just be?

Our accomplishments are not always measured by medals or awards;  the World will not always acknowledge us for our efforts, or reward our breakthroughs.  Ultimately, once I got home I just felt exhilarated to know my legs carried me almost 13 miles and gave me a marvelous Sunday morning adventure.   It was grand; and next week, I'll see how far I can make it, again.

No comments: