Monday, December 19, 2011

Long Beach run 12-18-11

After the relative ease with which I pulled out Saturday's run,  I wasn't sure what to expect for Sunday going long.  In fact I was completely undecided about route, length, time etc until I actually began walking out the door.  And like an old horse who knows its routine,  found myself heading east for my (now) usual beach loop.  As it's been pointed out to me,  why not focus on the half-marathon? which is more or less what this loop is now...my weekly half-marathon!

I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day!  The skies were finally clear of clouds, low winds, and plenty of full on sun.  Chilly at the start, I shucked my over-shirt by the second mile and was still not quite awake until I hit Dania and saw the bridge beckon to the beach.  I felt slow, and my endurance was down.  I stopped a few times for water and to break the run;  and at every point I could I gave myself an 'out' if needed.  I can turn back here- I can loop back through here....but I've begun to crave that Sunday morning commune with the ocean,  waiting for me like a loyal friend when I show up and shower Her with my awe.  It is breathtaking every time to walk up to the point when I see the surf begin to crash into the shore and welcome the morning sun rising off the water....churning in Her emerald and olive greens,  the smell of brine and the winds welcoming me as I meander down Surf Road to North Park.

It wasn't a bad stretch to this point, and I enjoyed my pit stop before heading west, unfortunately with the winds in my face.  I've developed a few new discomforts:  a cramp in my right calf for one,  forcing me to slow it even more until I came to my usual turning point to cut south.  This time,  down to a walk I just hoofed it back on Sheridan and with a few intermittent jog stretches, mostly walked home.  Once again it's hard to say why some runs come off without an issue and others are challenges on many levels....whatever I've done to create consistency in my routine,  my energy flux is such that I suspect Bigger Forces are influencing me and everyone else.  As energies accelerate globally it seems we experience the impact in unpredictable ways,  as physical discomforts, as mental fatigue,  as emotional bumps and swirls which can have us wonder what is going on...!

Often times when I'm still far from home and the run has me beat,  I focus on "one foot in front of the other"  parsing my attention down to the lines in the sidewalk,  the pit-pat of my footfalls,  the beat of the music in my ears.  Our breath, the engine of all Life and connection with the Great Universe,  can itself feel like the only anchor to earth and will ground us if we pay attention.  When I aim small,  sometimes the world unwinds itself within me,  and the grand scale of everything seems to fit within my every step - until once more I make it back Home.

Feel your breath today and the footsteps you take to traverse the world you inhabit.  Each moment takes us further down the road,  a little stronger and wide open to the wisdom Within.

No comments: