Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Long Run

Miami marathon 2008.   The ultimate long run, and at that time a first:  never had I run 26.2 miles, never had I stayed on my feet nearly 6 hours to do it, never did I imagine, in my wildest dreams, pulling that off in my early 50's, ex-smoker, no sports hx, etc.  I'm glad to say I did my 2nd marathon in '10.  But since then, it's been a general re-acquaintance with 'reality' and a training regime I can cope with amidst the upswing in my professional life.

As every runner knows, the long run is the keystone of the running week.  Whatever I can pull off between Monday and Saturday, on Sunday I am blissfully free of traffic, distractions and obligations.   It's me, my music and the wide open roads.  Slowly but steadily, I am revisiting distance, still pulling up the miles, getting comfortable again out on long stretches while the weather is on my side.

Today, before the next wet front pulls in, the blustery early spring morning gave me partly cloudy skies and very moderate temps.  I am still breaking in the new Sauconys,  and felt tired and sore for the entire loop up to my Griffin Publix pit-stop.   Once I headed back out, the westerly direction put the wind at my back and I looped lazily down the cut to Stirling, was finally able to let loose, open my stride and allow my mind to wander around recent events.  Today is Tom B's memorial.  It was hard not to think of the last Hugh Birch World Run day run,  when even though he wasn't in running mode, Tom came for solidarity and support.  Tom was an encourager, a staunch 'all in' all-program guy.   And the last client I would have believed to let slip anything in his 24/7 focus.   That said, I also know the depth of his demons, the impact of emotional pain to derail the best intentions, and the sad sad loss this is for everyone who was connected to him in any way.

The long run is the key to surmounting any challenge, tackling any obstacle.  There is, within us, an enormous capacity to embrace the imagined vision of ourselves, and the daily effort to reach our intended goals.   Whether the change is a physical one, like fitness, an emotional one such as in healing our issues, or spiritual, to find and cultivate our Connection with Source, the courage it takes to step up onto the Path is not for the faint of heart.   Running builds endurance of body and soul.   The long run is our chance to find ourselves while deep in the middle of the trek.   Our destination is assured as long as we stick it out..   There is no where to go- but forward!

No comments: