Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Long(er) Run at Last


This piece was done in '09, an homage' to long runs, specifically the Dania Beach route I used to do in preparation for MCM.  The stretch on Dania Beach Blvd, before the Intercoastal and the beach used to mesmerize me in a kind of blanket of atmosphere;  the briny smell of ocean, crustaceans, sandy soil and sprawling vegetation mixed with the impression of fog and mist....thus the image of -just that.  Those long runs used to take me all the way around the greater Hollywood area, east.  Today, it was just a taste of that as I wound around the Griffin loop...setting off pre-dawn, welcoming a rising sun in clear skies, setting a rhythm in amazingly moderate and pleasant temps;  not chilly, not warm, but 'just right.'

I know it sounds old, but my constant ambivalence about the Miami marathon continues.  I'm enjoying these runs right now and know fully what it would take to ramp sufficiently up to 'marathon training' and the necessary miles to handle it.   Working 6 days a week, adjusting the new reality of my physical changes (post-menopause) and trying to interpret my attitude and willingness has put an ultimate decision on hold.

Somehow I'm no longer a fan of 'forced' or obligatory running.  I may be rationalizing- and please tell me if I am- but as time has now caught up with necessity,  the idea of 'mandatory' runs are beginning to change my attitude towards running for the worse.  It's been about 7 years now;  working from pure walking, to 5ks, 10ks, half and full marathons.  I am a turtle.  I do not run for speed.  I love the 'theater' of races, the democracy of group runs.  But deep down I am a solitary runner just as content to take off for whatever route beckons and as far as I'd like...my dreams are still to find off-road places where quiet trails or roadways will bring me that lovely loneliness that the long-distance runner craves.  The space for wishful thinking and dreaming of all kinds...the chance to stretch out tired legs, weary mind and let loose into a rhythm of movement.

If anyone can convince me to grab on to the marathon, I am open to your feedback.  Meanwhile, see you on World Run Day at Hugh Birch Park - Sunday Nov. 7 @ 9AM.  Don't forget the gate fee.  And whatever you do, ENJOY THE RIDE!

No comments: