Monday, November 8, 2010

World Run Day at Hugh Birch 2010


One of my favorite spots, it was great to see Hugh Birch state park, now green and lush after all the heat and rain this year...a gorgeous hideaway on the east edge of Ft. Lauderdale, and staging area for my homage to running this WRD.  When I first began to run, I used to come here to feel at peace in a deep pocket of Nature while learning to ramp up my endurance and miles.  For this year, it was an easy, breezy 2 loops with the few fellows who joined me, conversational, convivial, with all the great stuff a group run has going for it- cementing our love of running

The fact that we ran at the same time as the NYC marathon was a nice bonus;  and though I haven't yet read the whole story, our elder hero Haile had to bail at mile 16 giving newbie Geb a surprise win- the Ethiopians still rule!  It goes to show how much can change despite our best efforts and expectations.

Once the boys left, I did a lazy final loop with my camera, catching all my favorite little spots, the magic that makes this park special;  from the intercoastal, to the wild little patch of woods, and sunlight drifting through trees now arcing their way across several stretches of road...the bladers, the bikers, and yes the runners circling their way round and round this oasis of bliss.

We run, us roadsters, to get OUT and into the world.  To experience, on foot, the relaxed attention of taking things in on the move, meandering our way around.  Jim was the real champ- running TO our meet-up over 9 miles, then leaving to complete his designated mileage for another oh, 13....no biggie to him!  You are a real inspiration, Jim!  Your relaxed attitude reminds me that no matter what level I choose to run at, it must retain this core of unexpected pleasure- or else there's no point to it for me.
I have time this week, to organize my runs with a bit more thought to the miles.  But it was good to share the road, and the passion for running with kindred souls.

No comments: