Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cold Run



Waiting for the sun to be fully up seemed prudent on a morning when the temps bottomed out in the high 30's! For South Florida that's the same as minus numbers for you northerners....the normally muggy, warm air has been sucked of all heat; in its place, the arctic wind chills sweep over our flat landscape with surprising force. I wanted to wimp out, I hadn't slept as well as I'd liked...I could have gone to the gym, but I truly hate the treadmill. My strategy for times like these is 'do not entertain other options- stay with Plan A!.' And thankfully, I was able to roll out of bed, layer myself up and out the door I went.

My 5 mile out back, looping over to take Arthur west, back on Park, was not as bad as I thought; my layers were right- putting the windbreaker over everything else kept the breezy chill out for the most part. And I'm loving my new tights. For me, just being out in the sun, air and under the wide sky is the whole reason to run. The boost I get from moving freely out in the open is my therapeutic punch up for the day.
I can feel those endorphins and dopamine hitting all the right spots, and the blood circulating through my body....there is a rush of calm at the end, as I walk off the last stretch...and a feeling of lightness, confidence and quiet joy for completing the run.

You can do it and I know many of you do. Runners are amazing that way; they will brave almost any conditions, and disabilities, push through their limitations of all kinds, just to feel what I feel...the lightness of our bodies even as they pull themselves against the gravity of earth. The run sets up free every time. And in the moments when our minds are let loose, everything else comes with us.

No comments: