Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hope Grows




I woke up late today since the phone alarm was on 'beep', bounded out of bed, threw on my clothes, took my supplements, drank my morning shake and swept out the door. The beautiful big bright morning was almost harsh since I usually go out earlier when the edges of dawn are fading, and the light is soft and lush. Ok, though, with limited time, I wanted to accomplish at least an out and back along Park, and wake up my legs.

I was all in my head until I rounded a corner and saw a guy in a wheelchair taking in the day with his dog on support leash....we smiled at each other and I thought, look now, you get to gripe about your crappy training...while he's out for a nice ride...suck it up!! And found my perspective, thanks to him.

All the aches and pains present and accounted for. This time, I took a page from Marlon's posts and put in significant walk breaks. I did this all through to my turn-around at the small park for water...then headed back east. I felt my endurance somewhere out of my grasp....but at moments, the rhythm of the gait was there, and the discomfort eased. I kept my focus on form, and on finding the places that feel stuck- the back of my knees, hamstrings, all the sitting every day at work makes this shelf of soreness at the base of my ass....and I know I need to work on getting my core back to being strong to carry my legs through.

At the last stretch I put a little gas on it, and enjoyed the sweat, heat, effort, the in and out of my breath, the feeling of freedom to put myself out on the road in the middle of a beautiful autumn morning (even if it is 80 degrees). While I struggled these past few weeks to believe in miraculous saves, now my hope grows. The chaos of change opens unexpected doors, and I need to be brave enough to walk on through. Or run!

No comments: