Monday, February 16, 2009

Soon!



Last year's A1A start.

Saturday's run at Hugh Birch was GREAT, then we drove the route and scoped out parking, fixing everything in my head for race day. Lots of drills, little farleks, and pacing...midday heat increased the intensity, but it was good. I can see where a few aches are complaining, by my right shin and right hip. I will massage and ice this week.

This morning, I did a loop over the overpass, looping west on Park Rd to Anderson for water, back on Thomas. The first half, into a headwind, was a pain, literally, fighting fatigue, feeling too full from the emotional eating at the family gathering, and the wind in my face. But on the way back, I found my rhythm. All those drills have done me some good. The Glycerin 6's were plush on my feet, and for a blessed stretch I felt nothing but rhythm and motion. I could imagine, even if fantasy, running that long A1A stretch and enjoying it. I could pretend I was coming into the line. For about 30 minutes I felt like the runner I want to be. And I remember, that this is why I run. To be free.

It's heartbreaking to watch a 91 yo man tell my 88 yo father he needs to get his act together, take care of himself, move around some. The 91 yo swims daily, drives, look great. My dad has given up any semblance of trying. He let his darker nature take over and erode his capacity to cope. I hope I never stop. It may be optimistic to say, but I don't see why I can't drop dead in my tracks, as Michael has speculated. If I can move I can feel the energy in my own body, and that tells me I am connected. I would hate to have to give that up for anything. And on Sunday I'll get to put myself to the test once again.

No comments: