Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A1A Half marathon, part 1

Before the pictures arrive, I need to start with this:
2:23:26.

My old coach Robert ran an hour faster than me, and he is 66. Don, the owner of our local running store placed 9th in the entire field. Had I not stopped after the turn around to pee, I might have beaten my time from last year. As it was, though, I ran a nice, consistent race and I am not beat up this week. I feel strong. I feel good. I feel GREAT.

I need to thank my 'team' for their loyal help. Between them, they got me prepared that weekend, through nervous family crises, pre-race jitters and logistical confusion. They got me to the line, saw me off and into the finish. They ate pancakes with me, and celebrated the down time later, at the beach and over Chinese food. They hugged and loved me, and for the first time, I ran a race and had all the lovely support I always wanted. I felt validated for something extraordinary. And I got to share it with about 3000 people.

When the pix are posted, I will come back with part 2 and a more comprehensive story of the race. Until then, my first run comes up tomorrow, when I take myself out for a test, to see what I've got. To see what running, without pressure will feel like, under the wide open sky.

No comments: