Monday, February 9, 2009

2 Weeks 2 Go




View of A1A start line, last time....

Did my 10 miler loop yesterday, 2 hours with 3 stops, and straight into headwinds all the way in to the beach. Pacing with the bike has been very helpful, as a tool for pacing, practicing some speed, getting a sense of just how fast (or slow) I really am. And I am slow, no doubt about it. Even on Surf Rd, as we came into the last stretch before North Beach Park, I was getting passed by everyone, including an older geezer guy with a steady, relaxed gait that looked slow and blew right past me. I try not to be discouraged, even as I wonder why speed is elusive for me. What I hoped for and what I feel is stronger. And all I need to make it through 13+ miles intact is strength; my endurance seems pretty good. Now, if I can work on my digestion, which has gotten all messed up.

There was joking and laughter at my folks this last visit, and a feeling of lightness overall, despite all the new challenges, recriminations, resentments etc. Oh well....I try to remember everyone needs someone to get mad at sometimes, and when I become the target, I can try not to take it too personally. I've been mad too, but then, quickly turn anger into a means of finding some other angle on the situation. The creative muses have been busy with me, maybe that's the solution. In the middle of everything else, I'm having some great good ideas....if I can just figure out how to pull them off.

A trapeze artist interviewed on This American Life, who walked between the Twin Towers, complained that he had to take time away from his projects to eat and sleep. I laughed, thinking, this is the way all true creative thinkers are. I must be on the lazy side; or maybe I just compromise with myself. Inspiration is never far away. Putting it all into action takes discipline. The race will remind me that it takes work, persistence and commitment to a goal. The other side of art.

No comments: