Saturday, November 17, 2007

First 'cold' run

I wasn't that keen on training this morning, after a very busy week and already logging 42 miles. I floated on my fatigue last night and decided to let my mind make itself up over night. The cold air settled in; our first strong front of the year. At 5, with the thin black pre-dawn sky about me, I packed up and made my way out. By 6:10 I found my feet and rounded up Bayview. The chilly air brushed up my skin in small prickles of electricity, my pace was brisk, the dawn was just breaking. By Ocean Blvd the white caps out on the ocean were alight with the early sun. I took Sunrise in a steady gait, a little tired. Las Olas and boats crisp against their peers. Rounding the corner into Victoria Park. The long meandering road up to Sunrise hugs a strip of park on the Intercoast the neighborhood is named for, full of lazy morning dogs and owners, a few walkers, and lovely lush landscaping. The last crossover at Sunrise is flush and easy....when I come in, the attention of all the other runners is elsewhere....but I'm persistant in my vision of early movement in the dawn....

The world wants to take us down a lonely road, a hard road. We fight for our right to find our own way, against the pressures and pitfalls. I waited many years through the confusion to hear my footsteps on the morning winds, coming across oceans and swales of winds, punishing and sometimes neutral in their presence. When the light suddenly emerges, it takes the wind into it, and the way into the distance can be apprehended...I feel, now, the trust in movement....and the balance it takes to sustain. We have only a little ways to go. The day is still with us. The tide can be turning even now.

No comments: