Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Courage to Care; A Thanksgiving note

I ran a tough 8 miles today, hours of sitting at work exacerbate the soreness of higher mileage, but as I got closer to the end of the run, I found new gas in the tank and took the last mile in an easy, long length of high strides. I felt the pressure of December looming, and what it will take to keep my focus in training. There are many distractions in my head as I meander my thoughts about work and life taking shape, always in flux. But the start date is a certainty and a commitment. I found a calling in my feet that took me from momentary moods to the ability to take heart in my long-term stability and good health. I found the courage to care about myself in an entirely new way. The strength and stamina running gives me provides more energy to care about my clients, co-workers, and loved ones. The struggle that was negotiating my way through life has become the adventure of seeing what the road will give me today.

You runners out there, you know who you are, I must thank you for your support. Cheryl, Marlon, Dave, the uber-runners who have marathons under your belts, who cruise through your miles as seasoned veterans, you have been incredibly generous to me. I fell in love with running through your eyes, and encouragement. And as the community of readers out there sees it through mine, I hope to transform my vision of running into accomplishing commitments to care about what matters in life. Transform yourself! Allow your lion's heart to run into the world full of foolish pride and certainty that anything is possible with your good faith, your vision and your love. We will all be standing, cheering you on.

No comments: