Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Preparing for the 30k

At breakfast this past Saturday with some of the marathon training team, Coach tells me "Don't worry about the 30k." Uh huh. Right. The reason for his confidence was the unexpected 13 1/2 miles I put in that morning on a long loop he, once again, miscalculated. "You did the 13, so only 5 more and you have the 30K." Yea, right. It sounds so easy coming from him. An elder stateman of the sport, with his curious accent I find out is an amalgam of English, Belgium and German. He was confident because of his experience. I was skeptical because, well, I've NEVER run that long....and even though I managed that 13+ out of my butt, essentially, flat out, 1 water stop, still! 18 miles??

I ran the same race last year and did the 15K. So I know the first part of the course. Its a beautiful run along A1A in Deerfield, and I tripped and fell just shy of the turn-around. Not only do I remember my complete humiliation, the helpful concern of other runners, but how, once on my feet I saw that turn and the magic split where the 15K-ers headed back and the 30k-ers went on (and on....).... I remember vaguely thinking of it as a kind of no-man's land...where runner's go to trek endlessly into the dawn (the sun had just finally come up over the ocean- still one of my best running/race memories...)- how do they make their way back? This year, its my turn. This time, I have the 'team' with me, as most of the marathon group will be there doing either one or the other distance. Knowing I will be seeing familiar faces makes it a new experience. If I am caught out in those far reaches, somehow I trust that someone will be scouting out my trail. I will be on the hunt for my own stretch of endurance, grit and fortitude.
Because after this, if I survive in one piece, I have promised myself to register for Miami. This is my deciding event.
If I tank, its the Half, again, for me. So time to test myself.

Today, after an easy (yea right, are they ever??) 5-6 on Sunday, I did my 8. I know I am getting stronger, but its tough none the less. Hard to tell whats going on or why. I will still try to put in about 30 miles this week, and on Coach's advice just a very easy 2 or 3 on Sat.
I will have to be up at 4AM to make it to the start- with plenty of time, and hopefully enough gas in the tank, faith in my heart, and depth in my spirit to carry me - all the way in.

No comments: