Monday, October 15, 2007

A1A Training Run- 30K report

4AM came awful early, but I tried to be sure I was not only prepared and packed but had time to get ready with breathing room. In fact I made it to the parking area off Hillsboro with time to spare, along with the first runners who were, like me, checking gear and hydrating. The winds were stiff in the pre-dawn dark....coming briskly off the ocean in gusty streaks, as I walk the less than a mile to the pavilion where the race begins, and all of the Ft. Lauderdale Road Runner club members who put on this event are out in force, their well-organized troops in camoflauge t's and hats manning their stations. I realize its a good-news, bad-news situation: its not raining (yet), but those winds could be a real pain in the butt, depending on how they're blowing....OK, I'm rested, ready, fueled, hydrated...and I have my blinking blue light everyone is given this year to follow each other through the dark....and while I wait for the start I just try to relax and visualize...9 up, 9 back, 9 up, 9 back....thinking of my morning loops, my long runs, and the last run I did Friday when I felt like I flew down the road on truly light feet....this is such a low-key event. Once we get to 6AM, its a few announcements, a "ready, set go" and we're off!!

I don't know how or why, but it seems EVERYONE is passing me!! ok....I'm good, I'm listening to my ipod, and trying to navigate in the dark....not easy....and just aiming down the road, up the one overpass, and getting into the groove of the straight stretch for the first half. I try to recognize that most runners are younger and fitter than I am, and scan for the smaller bunch that seems to run at my pace. Once I lock on to a few of them, I re-set my 'compete' expectations to fold in with runners at my basic speed and continue on. The dark doesn't lift until the 15K turn-around point, and this is where I fell last year....and yes, the dawn is coming on, but the weather is full of high winds and spotty clouds that scatter up the ocean swells, shielding the sun and keeping the temps comfortable. Good news, bad news as I get battered by those winds pushing into my face, against my side, tripping my footing, making me press extra effort into every step....As I pass that check-point I think, this is it, I'm committed to the 30K. Here we go; and at least I have light. The runners who opted on are mostly ahead, I can see them stretched out far up the road....as once again I find a few in my pacing I slide in with and head up.

Psychologically I find it interesting how subjective distances can be when you're aiming for certain points...The few miles before the 30K turn-around seemed absolutely endless.....and as I approached, running through those runners who had already made the turn, I searched their faces looking for hints of what lay ahead, asking for information "is it far?" All the while I know I have to retrace these steps....but if I just make it this far.....there it is! The far reaches of Siberia!! The team of club members in their battle fatigues manning this outpost, Accelerade and water at the ready.... whoo Hoo!! I stop and give myself a much deserved few moments of rest and shoot the breeze...as is everyone in the Club, they are warm, supportive, encouraging....they let me whine and moan just enough to get it out of my system; once I have enough fuel back in me, I figure OK- here goes! and set off back down the road.

The wind now has my back, sort of. Gusting at unpredictable intervals, once in awhile blowing me sideways, at least its still comfortable, and I'm somewhat over 2 hours in. I feel light cruising back down the road. Somehow it feels comforting to know I just have to follow this walkway all the way to the pavilion, no matter how far....and allow my feet to glide to the music. So I just try to stay with the beat, and a steady stride, taking on hydration at every stop and asking for mileage.....I'm counting down and make it in to the 15k turn point. Another big bunch of Club members give me encouragement, a bathroom stop, and off I go....

Once I passed 16 I realized I was in "no-woman's land"....never having run a step longer than this in my life....I tell my feet, just keep on keepin' on...there is an end!! There are a few runners just ahead that I keep my scopes on, and pace to, one is running just at my speed....I set my sights on her and just try to keep everything in motion, even when my legs begin to feel like they want to fold up under me.... When I see the last water stop I also see the overpass....and I know I am close....after that its a mile+ into the finish, gutting it out, keeping it firm and trying for just a little kick at the end which I do every single run. A lone photographer is standing by the pavilion parking lot entrance, pointing his camera at me as I come in; I raise my hands high in victory signs, a huge smile on my face- he gets the shot. There is no official clock, no crowds, but the Club members that are there to hand me water congratulate me......as I lope in and ...can't quite stop......until I cruise on thru....and shift gears down.....
30K is now under my belt. 3 hours 45 minutes (more or less) unofficial time.

Miami.....??? get ready. get set.

No comments: