Monday, July 8, 2013

Big Sun Runs

I managed 3 out of 4 days running this holiday weekend,  keeping the new Asics on the road, breaking them in nicely,  beating out any rain and absorbing solar maximum,  or what feels like an unusually BRIGHT sun, even for high summer (see above!).   3 runs were loops around the 'hood,  west, or up on Griffin,  while Sunday I took myself straight out to the beach to say a fond 'hello' to lovely La Mer.  

The more 'automatic pilot' on the run,  the better.  The less thought or critical analysis about conditions,  gait, comfort etc,  the more I am free to absorb the experience.  Like most experiences in life,  removing 'the filter',  the critical mind which seeks to understand something,  often takes such extreme strategies.  The beauty of running is once going,  it is a sure-fire way to move the mind aside, and with practice,  provides a similar mental relief as meditation:  running is by far my favorite meditation practice.

I was barely awake when I geared up with hydration belt and headed past the interstate.   The roads were full of early morning beach-goers,   the closer to the beach,  the more the cars flooded the drop off from the intercoastal overpass.  I was on a nice little roll, without stop, once the cargo trains passed at Dixie...

and took my time at North Park, trying to get a handle on the amped up sun,  shooting massive glare into my camera...more so than I can remember ever seeing,  a light so bright, I could not look too much at the skies at all!  But the beach was laid out underneath in a glittery glory of sparkling sand and water....!

North Park is a perfect pit-stop:  I have a bathroom,  water fountain,  and all these great views of the ocean and broadwalk.   The church people occasionally do their thing at one of the picnic tables,  and sometimes homeless guys are hanging out;  but usually I find runners and bikers and bladers and beach lovers doing what I do, grabbing some water and taking a minute to regroup. 

As I headed back west,  I felt hot and tired,  but managed a steady pace right on through until Oakwood plaza-  that's most of the way home,  just shy of 95.  The sun felt like a slow cooker;  my electrolyte laced water was long gone.   As I walked up the last overpass I was mentally giving myself pats on the back for doing it, making it,  and it was still early enough to give me the rest of the morning.   With everything going on,  packing and sorting,  cleaning and preparing for 'the house' and the current contender in Riverland, (Egypt house knocked out of the running) I felt like my running was a way of incubating the 'long haul' of this process with less stress,  less anxiety:  as if to say to the Universe,  I got this....I'm on my feet, and I'm on my way.   I'm taking it ONE STEP at a time,  and meeting whatever challenges present.  And if I flag,  I'll rest- or drink some water,  or have some good food.  But I know the goal is there, like the ocean,  just waiting in all its glory for me to get there.


No comments: