Monday, July 29, 2013

A Not-so-Long Run: Adaptation is Key


Just move your legs. Because if you don't think you were born to run, you're not only denying history; you're denying who you are. 


-Dr. Dennis Bramble, University of Utah biologist, quoted in Born to Run 



South Florida delivers heat in a very humid package.  I started out way too late,  after 8AM,  the sun already feeling like a furnace through the morning clouds.  I suddenly felt intimidated by distance,  since my body has some trouble regulating itself in extreme temps;  the thought dawned on me, just take it easy and go as far as it feels comfortable.  With that,  I narrowed my loop and cut through the trailer park to pit-stop at Publix and head back down 35th,  walking when it felt prudent,  putting a small kick when I got any momentum up, but mostly cruising along the patches of shadows thrown by the trees on the streets.  And proving to myself once more that running for no reason at all is sometimes the best run of all.


In the new matrix of planetary alignments, weather anomalies, political unrest and ongoing personal transformation,  the sheer inundation of life's intensity can become very overwhelming.  People react all kinds of different ways.  There are the lovers and the haters,  the activists and the sadhus,  the isolators and partiers;  those working on stage, and those behind the scenes, aware and awake, or not at all.   My attachment to outward appearances has got to stop.  What my ego wants to believe is the presentation "at face value" may not be at all what the intention of this person is seeking.   For me,  the new challenge with clients is in catching my own bias before it informs what I 'think',  knowing that at a more fundamental level, we are all playing our part as needed to shape the Cosmic Plan.

So instead of berating myself in any way for my efforts,  I patted myself on the back and settled into a nice generous bowl of breakfast to tell my body, "good job, well done!"  And working through the chores list another "you go, girl" for staying the course,  keeping to the trail,  not allowing myself to get 'lost' in the emotions swirling everywhere around me.  

I have peace in my heart.  It may be more of a truce than anything else at the moment,  but it tells me I am done with the battles in my heart.   Who I am,  what I do,  where I'm going is like the run.  I head out, confident in my abilities and resources, and my body's innate wisdom.  I know I am guided, and supported.  I know I am loved.  






No comments: