Monday, July 22, 2013

Out of Time


The true but rare runner's high is a zone that we enter when everything seems to click perfectly, when time stands still, and when we can run almost without effort. 
 - Amby Burfoot






There are mysteries afoot.  Super moons and "Day out of Time", earthquakes and crazy weather, too wet, cold, hot, dry- fires and filaments of light,  stars coming into view and whisking away into uncharted unknowns.  Ancient cultures cough up their treasures- and secrets- from ocean floors, volcanoes long dormant explode.  Medicine people all over the globe are organizing like never before, speaking out to the world, hoping to stop the catastrophes The Man has blanketed upon the Earth in unimaginable depths....attempting to destroy the molecules of air we breathe, and the fabric of the food we eat....poisoning our minds with mental slop left over from the ages of ignorance and beliefs which will keep us enslaved if we are not careful to move aside from it all....

My activism is my counter-vision:  what comes to me in the quiet of Nature when Her innate wisdom informs me of just how effortlessly it could all transpire, if we stand with Her,  stay close with Her,  and forge the relationship upon which our lives- and Hers- depends.  On the run yesterday,   I felt full of fogginess;  the heavy load of daily life and the political skirmishes to win control, power, scope of influence,  to find where I belong in the 'real world',  to get the practical pieces of professional and personal space embedded into a piece of land where I can return to my gardening and artistic roots and do what I know how to do:  coax the loving Life from the ground to grow the true necessities for health and well-being, including food,  flowers, trees, medicinals.   To create artistic space, freely expressing and helping others do the same....to unleash the Muse to inspire those who partake of the space, who will in turn take the plant, the guidance, the artwork to inspire others....To make sanctuary that which becomes the oasis in the sea of changes....and a place where folks can gain respite from the pressures of those changes....To support my Crone years, and the needs of my family, even if its a break from their city life;  there is much to this vision,  much to do.

I asked myself,  while out on my long run yesterday,  how much I have become nostalgic for my past:  Barn days and artist/studio days,  garden and river days,  ritual and community bonfire days.....First I swung into this paradigm, full on,  no hesitation as we scooped up what was presented to us along the riverbank all those years ago, and created The Barn.  Then I swung the other way,  as I sought the practical foundation to support myself,  grow a profession, career, a means of growing myself into the Marketplace to end the unnatural dependency on men.  Now, the age of dichotomies is coming to an end, and all that the world has pressed upon me....the credentials, the clients, the need, the desire is all there.  Now,  it is a matter of WHERE.   And WHEN.  I am guided by these forces which will not put it in a text and send it:  instead, they are asking that I follow the trail,  faint as it may seem at times,  as they lay it out for me.

I ran my old familiar Griffin loop.  I seek the consistency and pattern of my runs to keep it simple, to feel the security of known parts.  It's hard to find 'the new' when we churn up the same terrain.  But at the same time,  there is something to those familiar places which inform the future.  As I cruised down 35th,  I got that rhythm going and forgot, for a minute, about running.  I was 'off' somewhere in another time and place,  and whether it shadowed the past or future, I could not tell.   All the world feels balanced on a pin-head,  spinning on this point of change.  We will fall forward into more transitory changes,  and seek the familiar roads.  At some point,  be ready:  we may find ourselves flying into something unexpected.  Be ready to make the leap.  Meanwhile,  keep dreaming, and moving.  


No comments: