Sunday, January 13, 2013

What would Dean do? Fabulous Long Run back on the Big Griffin loop

I have my favorite runners....the marathoners,  the women,  the crazy ultra folks.   Some years ago when I first read Dean Karnazes's book Ultramarathon Man I was still relatively new to running, and hugely inspired by all the running talent out there.  Dean's book held key themes for me:  running as a response to life challenges (in his case the death of his sister),  finding the passion of running long, and the changes which manifest as a result.
Dean has a talent for creative running enterprises;  last year it was his "50/50"...running 50 daily consecutive marathons in all 50 states.   Yesterday, at his guest appearance at Runner's Depot he announced his next one:  a year to run a marathon in all 204 countries of the world!

Shout out to running pal Jim who passed along the info that Dean was coming into town....
I was at the store way early, and after chatting it up with Dennis (great sales-guy) and of course buying shoes, I was standing right there when Dean walks in the door!  Dennis and I look at each other "he's smaller than I thought" he says.  There is a buzz of energy around him- it is the vibrancy of his smile, his ultra-health and vitality...I find myself walking right up to him and saying "I am a huge fan" while he gives me a cozy hug and the pix above gets made on the spot!  He was led to his spot in the store to give his talk, and the running folks who gathered were, like me, a little star struck....he took questions,  he encouraged...his advice was very simple:  it just takes a lot of dedication and of course attention to diet and good cross-training (check, check and check).   I asked him what made him different (come on, Dean you know you are....) and again a simple (though frustrating answer for the rest of us!):  great biomechanics, and an unusual ability to take up lactic acid, making normal running fatigue virtually unknown for him.  Dean just goes...and goes...and goes. 


...As those legs show.  When the Dalai Lama is asked about his own unique spiritual qualities he always says "I am not special, I am just a humble monk."  Dean had a similar vibe:  we're all runners here,  we all love to run.  Through happy circumstance he finds himself able to model a master's level 'practice' which leads him to inspire many many of us (including Bill Clinton he said!) to get up off their asses.  The real gurus are 'direct representatives'...they don't need to be the rock stars,  what they do speaks for itself.

So today, despite relative sleeplessness and doubts about pulling out a long run,  I took those new Brooks Ghosts and an extra plastic pouch for the scuttling cloud cover, and headed out into a windy morning.   The lack of direct sun gave a chill to the skin until my first few miles were behind me,  the Ghosts giving that beautiful feel of hugging and supporting my feet as I made my way down Ravenswood heading for my first Publix pit-stop.   Usually by this point I begin to 'feel it'...as unlike Dean (and many other runners) my biomechanics suck and my 'burn' begins pretty much after putting my shoes on!  I tuned into the subtle conversation going on in my head sounding something like "yea you're tired,  just do the regular loop,  take a walk break,  don't push it..." and its opposite position: "wow these shoes really do feel great,  I feel pretty good too- why not get back on the BIG Griffin loop today?"  As they went back and forth,  I could almost feel the draw of backing down....I've been ratcheting running down for a few years now, despite my base.  Lowering my expectations seems par with an aging body which requires a bit more 'maintenance' these days.  

"What would Dean do?" I found myself asking...after all, I'm doing alright,  let's get up to Publix and go from there.   As I came out of the bathroom, the store filled with bike triathletes....swarms of helmeted roadsters seeking replenishment...outside more of them stacking their beautiful road bikes as they milled around taking their break.   This Tri club rides out every Sunday- I just 'happened' to be there as they stopped today....giving me a chance to chat up a few riders about bikes, cross-training (searching for a bike:  any suggestions, please comment!!!!).  "How many miles you doing?" a guy asks.   "Oh,  about 10 or 12" I say which is the BIG loop.   And as I head out I feel Dean nodding "that's it, girl, you go for it."

As I passed the usual cut-down at 35th I smile to myself.  I cruise on down to 40th feeling tired,  and take the stretch down to Stirling,  skirting a loose dog,  taking the number of a house for sale (wanted:  property with mother-in-laws quarters or similar....),  rounding out on Emerald Hills with a second wind.   The feel of that wind on my skin had a sensual quality;  intermittent sun kept the chill down and gave me buffers of resistance along with stretches of magical support.  I pushed,  I ran.   I would scan my body and ask it,  what can we do to straighten up,  lighten up the gait,  make it easier?  And it would respond with a resettling of limbs,  the rhythm falling into place for another block,  round the corner,  down past the park to home.

This is what I look like after those miles....alive and well.   Dean and the other runners are doing Vista View ultra today....and I know they're having a blast.   In solidarity with them, and all runners everywhere,  I did my part too.  Dean would be proud;  I know I am.  Run long, everyone,  run long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog! I knew dean had some meaning to you but didn't know why!. I did get to chat with him during the Vista View race for a few minutes while running, but no great picture like you have! There may be a race picture of him with me in it. I did 25 Laps for 31 miles, but the young ultra runners were out in force. A Japanese Guy Named Satoshi won, running 45 miles in 6 Hours! I ran with him before at the Hollywood Beach all night run.
Jim

Right Brain Runner said...

So cool- what was it like to see Dean in motion?