Monday, October 29, 2012

Resistance Training: Post Sandy 10-28-12

As Hurricane Sandy prepares to move inland and wreck havoc upon the densely populated mid-Atlantic region,  we took a turn into cools-ville, woke up this Monday morning with temps in the low 60's!  While we hunkered down Friday to see what the storm would bring,  I had a window of opportunity to regroup here at the crib and re-orient myself to my own space.  Above,  my very modest wall of running fame....which now serves to remind me:  I am a runner no matter how many miles or races I run.

Saturday and Sunday I did modest loops, which together would add up to a good long run LOL.   But as my usual bucket of aches and pains continues,  I am just not pushing it right now.  Saturday it was a beautiful, bright run on the Emerald Hills loop.   Sunday, it was me and a whole lot of wind down on the southern loop and out Park west,  wind at my back on the 'out' portion,  wind in my face on the 'back' part.  

Meanwhile,  without warning or foresight,  my SO also blew through and as it went,  blew up our night, our relationship....slinging what hurts he harbors at my head and heart,  unable to hear either himself or me.....like the hurricane,  he left debris in his wake....including the safety and sanctity of our connection....which historically and periodically finds itself battered almost beyond repair.

I have hit a lot of resistance lately:  from the Powers That Be and all best laid plans (workshop for NSU postponed;  private clients on the pause..... M.),  from clients who spin into their own vortex of chaos and blame me for the outcomes....from my own attempts to 'plan' things accordingly.   Sunday's run gave me two interesting experiences.  On the way into the western stretch, my attention seemed pulled up into the wind whipping the tall branches in the big trees where the sparkling sunlight met the clear air showering me in that dance of subtle colors which said "all is ready,  anything is possible- at the blink of an eye- changes are coming faster and faster....." which gave me an odd feeling of relief.  And once I rounded back into the winds coming home,  finding the strength deep inside to keep up a good clip....using the wind as a means of testing my own reserves....finding the rhythm....keeping it up even when it seemed the end of the road would never come.

Feeling alone out there on the road is a metaphor for everything I try to do.  The emotion of 'just me' and the elements, the day, the circumstances,  the solitude of my training increases my ability to handle my own Self no matter what blows through.   The World will continue to bring us many unusually high-intensity experiences,  ones we consciously create,  others we find ourselves part of in the larger Gestalt of our mass conscious -(or Unconscious-) ness.  I can't control M., Sandy, the direction of the winds,  the cancellation of events.  I am barely in control of getting enough sleep and taking good care of me.  Resistance is the training we ask for to clarify our own willingness to dig deep and find out what our endurance is all about.  We try to run scared from these challenges, but I have learned it's best to EMBRACE them all as the honored Teachers they are.   So for those of you bracing for the storm,  or feeling storms of your own in your heart,  bow before these forces; I do.   I am humbled by the Power of Mother Gaia to determine Fate in a way which embroils us in Her Big Plans ....for CHANGE.  JUST KEEP GOING.  LOVE WILL PREVAIL.  Stay safe everyone!

No comments: