Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back to the Beach Run 9-16-12

I wasn't sure what the weather had in store this morning, we've been stuck under a stubborn ribbon of on and off rains; I miss the full on sun since returning from DC this week.  When I poked my head out, a surprising and gorgeous dawn light show was beaming from the east.  Then and there I decided to gear up for the beach and check out the skies, the ocean today.

I am so practiced at this, I can drop out of bed and on the road within 20 minutes.  One secret is I always have a set of running clothes out so I don't fish;  and the rest of the gear is stowed in predictable niches near the door- I wanted to have my water belt, and extra plastic cover for my phone.  Other than that,  a quick protein smoothie, laced up the Sauconys- out I go!

This is my first pair of Sauconys- thanks sales guy at the Davie running store who heard me when I said "stay light, more cushioning."  When I tried these at the store I liked their wrap-around my foot feel and enough support...so today's run was a real test- the beach and back is a solid 8-10 miler depending on my route.   Usually by halfway home, my feet and legs will be very tired and sore.  Today,  I vaulted up the overpass, a little slower, a bit stiffer than former years....but settled into a nice, easy rhythm, the shoes soaking up the compression, finding my footing while I kept trying to adjust the ongoing rambling jam on my right side, now settled around my knee.   The proof of good shoes?  That pain eventually disappeared, telling me the the shoes were helping realign my gait.

The sidewalks are complete now on the north side of Sheridan....I love the sulfur smell of the mangroves,  the wide waters of the intercoastal,  the big southern skies full of movement and color.  Coming up onto North Park, the view out the ocean did not disappoint;  I shared my photog experience with another photographer eager to catch the unusual light and shimmers.  The art of Mother Nature is in Her ability to lock onto the viewer's focus, and deliver the quintessential design;  not just as 'beautiful view' but as a living, breathing panorama we stand in the midst of,  ourselves the lens and revealer of Her perfection.

I hunkered down and headed home with all that big air filling my lungs, making me feel a buoyancy like the misty atmosphere floating somewhere just above where my feet fell slap-slapping the sidewalks,  keeping time with the tunes...traveling down the mental roads the broad landscape and music inspired....If you have no similar outlet, then I urge you to find your way to a private appreciation of your natural surroundings;  there is more healing to be had in Nature than any human has invented.  And She's free. 

No comments: