Monday, January 30, 2012

The ING Miami (half) Marathon 1-29-12


We begin the day at 3:30AM when I wake up to throw on my clothes, make sure I've packed everything,  eat my PB and banana on sprouted tortilla and take off down the road.  No rain, very mild and humid temps. Not good for the uber-racers, but great for me!  I share the interstate with reckless late nighters racing home,  making the drive a little crrazy and find my way downtown where I swiftly get lost.  Staying with the strategy of "follow anyone who looks like they're heading the same way"  I luck out with a street lot just a few blocks from American Airlines arena and it turns out not far from Bayfront.   It is not even 5AM and the whole area looks like a street fair:  multi-colored runners of all shapes and sizes,  the starting corrals fenced and manned by buffalo-headed staff....which distinguished them from other event staff as the folks in charge of managing and starting each corral as it came up.
Interestingly, as an "I" and the last the go,  we were tucked right up by the start line and therefore the A's and B's etc...meaning we got to see the wheelchairs start first (always a thrill), then the elites, and everyone damn else!!  We stood and cheered for 45 minutes before it was our turn....!

 
     And somehow, being early and at the front of my corral,  I was able to see everything unfold including our turn to be 'herded'  in front of the start line...

and the beginning of the race- for us!  I'm off!








The skies had just begun to lighten....I was so stiff from standing in one spot, it was a shock to my system to be on the move,  negotiating space in the crushing crowds navigating our way onto the MacArthur causeway and probably the biggest hill of the race....I was no no awake, or even really conscious of doing anything but putting one foot in front of the other and trying not to trip over anyone....rewarded by the view of the cruise ships and water all around...
and since I waited so long....my first (and only) porta-potty stop which took what felt like forever waiting in line with everyone else at the first water/AID station:
At this point,  it didn't feel like a race so much as a fight for resources:  water,  potty and space!  And I began to feel the contrast between my usually solitary and very inward experience...and the circus unfolding around me!  The competitor in me wanted to show off my training and abilities such as they are....I jump back on the roads and head out with everyone else into Miami beach.
We're about 3 or 4 miles in,  and my legs have begun to relax a little,  the crush of runners thins out enough to begin picking my way along,  and mostly I try to find a rhythm I can settle into while still enjoying the hubbub of onlookers and the slightly derelict magical air of Miami beach...passing the spot Yu, Mike, Claire and I sat having a snack...and curling around and onto the Venetian causeway pointing back towards downtown...
It was strange to deal with feelings like trying to keep pace with people who looked bigger, fatter, slower or otherwise handicapped:  the democracy of running is such that you never know who the uber-runner is!  And my competitive streak was often humbled by the realization that I was lucky to just keep on my feet and put an occasional burst of speed on just to keep up with the crowd!  I am deep in the midst of it now,  and there's no leisurely stopping and hanging out like I usually do!  The mile markers melted past the 7, 8, 9....and finally there was a 10!  and we are downtown at last...
I had to dig deep to find enough umph to weigh my relief that I had about 3 miles to go with my fatigue,  fighting with myself to make my 3 hour limit (self-imposed of course) while enjoying the sights and sounds...
pockets of great graffiti art....drummers drumming,  singers and bands singing...the Jesus people asking "Are you running with- or from- God?"
At 12 miles  people begin to cheer us on...oh its only a mile (+)....!  which began the longest mile of my life  (I say this every race) feeling as if that finish line would come up right around the next corner...or the next....until I can hear the music and shouting....coming into the chute...I give it one last blast and FINALLY!  I am over the line!  This pic is what runners look like walking AFTER we finish....waiting for water,  medals and for me to get the hell out of there!  Another lesson learned?  I am still not much for crowds....
I didn't mean for this to be such a 'wet t-shirt' look but its real....I was soaked in gatorade, water and sweat...and was eager to get home to a hot shower....Well organized by a phenomenal volunteer and public works staff....I grabbed a banana and bottle of water and thankfully hobbled out to find my car and out of the traffic....eager for silence,  a meal and a nice long nap.
In 2:56:45 minus that standing around for the potty,  I feel pretty good about this for an old girl....and happy to know I CAN...Regardless of times,  it was a great experience...congrats to ALL the runners, those who went for speed and the rest- like me- who go because we think it's FUN!! 






No comments: