Monday, July 18, 2011

Sunday Long Hot Run 7-16-11


The Techno gods conspired to jam up my tunes before I could head out the door Sunday,  a delay which took up precious early time in moderate temps.  Once I figured a work-around, I was out in full sun, not good for a date with a long run.

Nevertheless, I felt pretty good, making my warm up loop before heading west out Park to take stock of my 'hot spots' and get into a rhythm.  I passed up my first pit stop for John Williams park (above), a lovely little oasis on what used to be my stop before tackling the Seminoles, before they closed up the rez.  JW has bathrooms and a water fountain, with plenty of big trees which allows for a nice cool down before I headed back out to catch my Griffin loop. 

Knowing the kind of times my peeps Marlon etc post, I would be embarrassed to say how long it took to run my 10-12 miles.  I walked substantial stretches up 40th and after my Publix stop.   The build-up of heat and humidity is a formidable force, and I could not push myself any more.    I floated in a trance of fatigue just getting home, creating breakfast in my head and imagining the sweet relief of A/C and shower.   The 'mental' part of the run is more difficult than the physical when the body feels overcome by the elements.  Facing and accepting 'what is', becomes the most challenging part;  once out, there is little one can change except how long the whole ordeal lasts....

Many runs are an adventure, and some are pure joy.   Sometimes, though, runs are the gauntlet between tough places, with no reward except the satisfaction that the commitment is done.   But even the toughest runs have their sweet spot, like the Face of Nature at the park, the soft silence of those big lofty trees throwing their kind shade upon me.   Every day is a chance to discover how Life will shape itself around us, even while we project our own challenges and desires upon Life.   Choose your Vision and take the elements in your stride;  like colors chosen in artwork, they will blend into an integrated Whole by the experience of your heart.

No comments: