Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Surge of Self Love

It was chillier and windier than I expected this morning;  I was momentarily caught off guard until I began my brisk walk up to my start point, where the road cuts off the main drag into the quiet neighborhoods and I actually begin the run.  As I got going, slow, slow, I noticed how patches of sunlight would create puddles of warmth my body would relax into, before pushing off into the next stretch of chilly shade.   Like stepping stones in water, I found myself instinctively watching for these areas, and enjoyed the revolution of warm, cool, warm as I got a rhythm going towards Griffin.

It was the 3rd day of a 3 day stretch.  An experiment, since I sit so much at work, I am playing with the idea of limiting the time off in order to create the 'expectation' in my body that we will move in some form or fashion, long or short, walk or run.  If you do not have a moving practice, you are missing the greatest tool for mind/body/spirit there is.  I have more than my share of insecurities, body issues,  as the 'anti-athlete', the 'shlubby girl' who knew more about paints and books than any sport.  Over these years of running I have reconnected with very old parts of myself, the child who trekked all around our neighborhood trails and back woods, the young adult always looking for a new walk, route or path into the areas I've lived. 

The appreciation I sometimes feel for my body is beyond the practical goals of weight maintenance, miles per week,  or racing.  As I stretched before today's run, I felt a surge of love for these many parts which can work together in such flawless harmony to take me on these jaunts and enjoy the wonder and beauty of the world.  To see with the eyes of my inner artist,  in which inherent synchronicity is expressed through the essence of things,  and perceived with loving acknowledgment is certainly the secret to my motivation.  I am never disappointed by the Light, the soft air, the colors of Life.  There is a dialogue in my head between the outer and inner and often, on the run, I can feel it's rhythm come right up through my feet as I listen to the swoosh swoosh of Nature's words.

The World is in love with us;  can we be in Love with the World?  Take yourself out to the heart of Nature and listen.  She's there.

No comments: