Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stepping Out into the New


Thanks to the kids, and a Sports Authority sale, I was able to bag a couple new pair of shoes.  I've ran in the Sauconys 2 days now:  very nice!  Structured but plenty of cushion, apparently something I need these days.  The others, Nike Luna free, are a riff off the Nike frees, and minimal like my Brooks.  I haven't launched them yet-  hopefully they will be good for 'off' days when mileage is not priority.

As every runner knows, new shoes are the quintessential tool for instantly improving motivation and desire to run!  Unless they truly suck of course.   I have run through most brands now, and every time I think I found 'the one'- the magic cure for all the challenges of running,  a guarantee delivery of a smooth and productive ride. 

Mom's birthday was this weekend;   I am stepping out into uncharted territory, exploring the world sans parents and the responsibilities shouldered through stable times, prolonged illness,  and finally deaths.   What I thought I could accommodate in my significant other, while busy attending to everything else, I finally realized with insight like a bolt of lightening- I cannot.  My single status, which was a sub-text in the pseudo-relationship on and off over these many years, feels finally official- and right.   For once I feel the need for space in which the direct voices of planetary changes can speak to me, unencumbered.   And the music of my own soul's healing can be heard. 

I understand why my clients are scared of change, and the 'unknown'.   For what seems like Forever, I have been 'traveling' roads in this world and others, on my way to and from the security of rest points, community, humanity- out on my own.   Many artists/creative folk have this same inner conflict between the needs of the outer world and the pull of their own rich inner landscapes.  It is never an easy relationship to be Right Brain in a Left Brain world.

Today's run was a simple Emerald Hills loop, running most of the upper part, walking the Thomas stretch home.   I thought about how many times I have run around these neighborhoods, both in prime training mode, when 6 miles felt like a walk in the park, and in more relaxed mode when a loop like that taxes me.   Age has certainly made me appreciate the feeling of running while aware that what I demand of my body, its not always able or willing to deliver.

So there are new ways now to step out, to see the World;  with patience, appreciation and a simple love of The Story as it unfolds-  for me, for all of us, for generations to come.

No comments: