Thursday, July 15, 2010

Inner Distance


"Part of the challenge of the marathon is pushing past what you think is physically possible. You can do more than you think you can."

-Christine Hinton, a Maryland running coach

Yesterday as I watched my clients cope with the pressures of therapy, as I prod and push them past their own limits, a part of my mind kept wandering back to points in my own growth when I never thought I could....(fill in the blank)...go back to school/have a career/be financially stable/run/run a 10k,half marathon, marathon/retain a secure job for a long time/influence a ton of people for the better...etc etc etc....

Our belief systems stack up like bricks in the walls of our minds. They define the course, the challenges, the obstacles to overcome. One of my clients suffers from severe panic disorder and decided one day to challenge his beliefs by writing a 'letter to myself' and since then another, empowered part of him has become the driver in the journey of his healing process.

"You can do more than you think you can" is a mantra I live by. You can love more, accept more, resist more (the propogandists and repressive forces), empower yourself more to dive into the dream that hovers at the edge of your attention. If dreams are the echoes from our future selves, encouraging us on, then what do we have to lose by following them? Only the fear of yesterday.

This morning I set out for the Griffin loop thinking long and hard about the "Grandmothers of Endurance" someone posted on FB about 2 gals in their 60's/70's running ultra's...I mean 100 milers! The video had their interviews as well as footage of their beautiful matched cadences on a training trail run. It was a thing of beauty to see these old gals skimming the ground like sailboats on the water, as breathtaking to see as any star elite athlete...and for me, more inspiring!

One day, I will push past the limits of yesterday to the possibilities of today. I will remember how many dreams I thought were out of reach only to be the foundations of new ones. I sense the future world hovering like a beautiful veil on the edge of our daily routine; take the time to part it and see for yourself, who and what is waiting for you there.

No comments: