Monday, February 22, 2010

Following Ft. Lauderdale



My lost endurance from my right hip put the kabosh on doing the Ft. Lauderdale half-marathon Sunday, but in solidarity with the runners, I did a 10 mile out and back to the beach. It's been a while since I checked out the ocean; the day broke with extraordinary clarity after weeks of chilly, cloudy wintry weather (by our standards).
No excuses and no need to delay the adventure! I made sure to wear well-worn and comfortable shoes, and off to the east I went!

Sheridan is a crazy mix of 'hood and higher class areas that suddenly fan out into spectacular Nature; the intercoastal mixing in with the rest of the coastline in the briny, brisk skies reflecting jeweled tones of the water. The 5 miles to get there, not too bad. I took my time and enjoyed the ride. The ocean was shocking in its beauty!! The Broadwalk, the beaches were more full than I'd expected. Obviously everyone else got the same vibe- there is no stronger lure down here than the ocean to bring everyone into its large embrace!

I lingered long enough to soak up the sun, and breathe the good smells of the beach deep into my labored lungs. It felt good to be on my feet and independent of schedules, pressures and mileage. I realized that the need to run without agenda was good right now; even though I missed this year's big races in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, I was on a quest of my own. The room to grow into my next self was a luxury I wouldn't trade for all the mileage in the world.

Once rested, I headed back up and over the first bridge, feeling the hitch in my hip as a reminder that time will be needed to heal whatever caught up with me since October's marathon. The warm sun felt unbelievably comforting on my skin which hadn't been exposed for months; and the light jog from point to point was doable.

It was a run to remind me that just going somewhere is the fun of it. I run to travel just like I did as a kid through the old orchard trails, wandering all over the neighborhood back paths. I get away from whatever it is that needs doing, because sometimes doing nothing but going out on expedition is the best fun. I discover, each time, the enormous natural beauty of Florida. My artist eye is soothed by the big expanse of atmospherics, weather, colors and form. I love the derelict feel of its corners around the heart of it's pulsing oceans and beaches. My body stretches itself into my very soul which bounds in it's own movement, free to fly along, unencumbered.

It may be that the body holds us hostage to the planet, but I see it as my vehicle into the spirit. Without the engine that drives me in motion, I would not as easily feel the pressure of my soul in it's more ecstatic states. I may feel it hungering for it's usual school of experiences in my work, my family etc. but it's the freedom of motion that gives me wings.

Kudos to the runners who finished Ft. Lauderdale. I ran with you in spirit. See you next year!!

No comments: