Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Welcome Home, Senator Kennedy




For my entire life I have come up under the shadow of the Kennedys. I was 13 when the President was assassinated and the subsequent death of Robert shortly after was a milestone event in my life. I was galvanized then, with MLK's death in the same era, to become the radical, non-conforming, anti-establishment lefty liberal progressive I am today. Amazing that I work for government, but maybe, like Ted I find my way into the heart of the beast as a system's buster. Which is good and necessary. It is Teddy and Robert and John, and Martin and the countless other martyrs who took a bullet or took on the hottest issues and ideas of our era who pave the way for the rest of us. I am in awe of the legacy they leave as we now begin to traverse a new time. As Sen. Kennedy passed his torch to the current President, we held our collective breaths praying for safe passage for this most radical of choices. The spirit of social justice nation lives on in our endeavors to change, change change the climate of fear, hypocracy inequality, injustice...

It may have been hot and unforgiving out this morning, but I knew deep in my heart that when I turned the news on something was happening. Don't ask me how I knew. I thought maybe a disaster, weather event etc. Little did I guess such a notable passing.

Welcome Home, Teddy, your brothers, friends, family and colleagues await you. Feel the rush of relief as earthly pains and tragedies melt into the satisfaction of lifelong accomplishment. Your legacy will live on in hearts like mine. Thanks and farewell.

No comments: