Monday, August 10, 2009

Nailing 50




Hard to believe that despite everything I am 'on schedule'...nailing my first 50 miles per week this week, and increasing the long run by a mile or so...just enough to kick my ass, but not so much that I couldn't finish the beach loop Sunday.

It's good to have a team. Our routine now is using my 'coach' on the bike while I run, which helps keep me focused on running and not "where is the next rest stop?" According to 'Coach' I had a few very good stretches where I managed to keep a good pace, and didn't crumble into a heap. Even though we'd started out just after 6 AM, it was oppressive and baking hot coming up through the old Hollywood neighborhood. Realizing I do TWICE of what I did yesterday is what I'm aiming for...can my legs, my heart and willpower juice up to the level of at least completing 26.2 in one piece? Where should my expectations be?

You run your own race. No matter how much coaching or training plans, it all comes down to that conversation in your head when you just want to quit. Everything in life is about this conversation. Getting the umph up past the inertia that wants to spread itself like a blanket on the ground. I needed that too, though. Hours of recovery watching movies, the news, Bill Maher....more sleep than usual. Better nutrition.

It never hurts to have a little love to smooth the way. The loneliest long distance runners still need their team. My heart swells knowing there are many standing with me no matter what I do...who wait for me at signposts along the way or cross my path just when I need a boost. The Greater Team is poised to cheer me on and lend unseen hands to help. I acknowledge the enormous effort invested in my endeavors, and the eagerness to see me through.

No comments: