Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hurricane Season '09




The shreds of TS Ana kicked up pockets of big wind and rain squalls this morning, not enough to cancel the run, but just enough to cool off the heat and provide a bit of variety on the loop. The first squall came through as I dipped into the Griffin Publix, and the second wave skirted to my east. Florida is home of big weather. Hurricane Bill, which is gathering itself for major status appears headed to the north Atlantic. I don't know how we're doing it, but so far this year, it is remarkably quiet.

I couldn't get Mom off my mind. Last night I dreamt of a black and white dog I had (since I had many I wasn't sure which one) which I realized was sick or injured. In between the clients and work, my residence (which was different in the dream) I tried to juggle getting this dog out to seek care. If this wasn't a commentary on the situation, I don't know what is. As I sought a good rhythm in my gait I kept thinking about Dad and how much is left in the wake of his departure. I felt heavy with responsibility and asked him please, can you take care of mom? Help her along her way...? She looks at me behind those cloudy eyes while I look back and try to reassure her, take your door, it's there. I try to juggle the many balls in the air to get her care...will I do a good enough job...will she make it peacefully in to her own finish line?

I recognize my own drift in resolve, the part of me that gets fatigued with worry and the endless list of things to do. For the first time in forever I thought, why run? Will I really do this the rest of my life? Or will this, too, fall the way of other pursuits, my so-called avocations, talents and abilities....? I don't want to think there are endings for me, but a pause in the play of my spirit. If sometimes I write, and others make art, or if running is the thread that holds me together, does it really matter which way my soul seeks to express itself? I try not to judge the outcome, but it's difficult when the passage of time challenges us to keep up the momentum of lifetime pursuits. The old artists had it right, always. Nothing gets in their way. The muses will hound them morning and night to channel the spirit of Big Forces making their way in the world. We must heed them, listen, and open up the arms of our creativity in whatever means they choose. We must be ready to go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy running under adverse conditions!
Long runs hollywood broad walk cold with high winds and stinging sand at night (12Mi)
Very cold(it gets warm after a while).
Heavy rain and Lightning.(1 in 80000 chance of getting hit ((overall))in florida.
Long distances on A1A: 26-30 Miles
After a hurricane when there is a lot of debris.
Hills, track, races.
Snow blizzards
Keeps things from getting too boring!
runnerjs

Right Brain Runner said...

thanks for your comment...I'm curious to know how you map that A1A loop to catch 26-30....care to share that information with me? yes, it keeps things interesting and fresh!
RR

Anonymous said...

Hi! When I worked in Boca I took the Tri-rail from Plantation to work, and ran home one way via
A1A, around 26 miles. I did that run once a month for several years. I added my regular 5.8 mile run once to make 31 miles. I did that to prep for the Brooksville 50k that year. Currently I'm building up my long run , and did a 19 miler Monday in 90 degrees. (have Monday's off (4 10'S)). I'm also doing a lot of hills, I may run the Vistaview park 5K run at the end of this month.
Runners world.com has a log> routes>new routes where you can use a google earth type map to map routes and it calculates the distance for you. It's accurate and easier than driving the route and way better than estimating. You can also view other peoples routes in you're area. You may be able to view my running routes in the vicinity of broward and 441, though I'm not sure if I set it up right for other prople to view.
You're a great writer!

Right Brain Runner said...

appreciate the suggestions and your wonderful comments supporting my writing. please spread the word about the blog to other runners! My long-term plan is a book on the same theme...think it would sell??