Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekend Runs



Before I saw the folks, I did a long run, around 10+ miles, which was pretty much a slow slog...but enough to pull out the anxiety in me until I got there. Of course the visit refilled that tank, and I had plenty to think about after, mostly how to manage, practically and emotionally, my father's sudden decline. Mom, from her wheelchair, makes amazing sense. Who would have thought that after that stroke, she becomes the coherent one?

On Sunday, training with someone on a bike was great....! Shorter distance overall, but it felt faster, as I paced with the bike and used it as a means of stepping it up. The impression is going and going without feeling the effort, since the bike gives the illusion of ease. THAT was a good run. And today, because the weather was so gorgeous, I went out for a short Griffin loop, coming around 40th to Emerald Hills and again, feeling good. The new shoes are getting broken in a bit, and my feet weren't killing me like they were Friday. Overall, I feel the strength is there, and once in a while a bit of speed. My goal for now is not to embarrass myself on race day and try to at least make my last time, which was 2:20ish. Cheryl just ran the Miami half in less than 2 hours! Kudos, girl!! I think I can do a respectable job...now that I have the next 3 weeks mapped out.

My new problem is too much food. Trying to find the balance between enough food for hard training and too much...which just doesn't feel good. Someday there is still a purist waiting to express herself. Maybe I need to be apart from the workaday world to pull that off. In the meantime, I seem to indulge more than I'd like. Another goal to parse down the road.

The work week awaits. Obama is speaking...in a brief, practical message he's outlining some of his continued vision for reform, before signing some stuff. It's cool to watch him loop that left hand around and take the portfolios one by one, new pen, new signature. President Obama. Sir. We who carried you in on our hopes and dreams most certainly salute you. It's week two, sir. You look like a natural. You make me feel that any effort is worth the results we seek; transformational change. I can follow you, mentor, teacher, guide, because you cloak yourself in a mantle of confidence and humility. You do not say, you must. You say, come with me. And your natural charm and intelligence frames the points I can hear, loud and clear.

I'm running down a road, feeling just fine. I pledge not to allow my doubts to snuf out the fun of training for this race. I will remember the privilege and joy of running. I will run, for fun.

No comments: