Monday, January 19, 2009

A New Birth of Freedom



Barack and Michelle are doing their MLK service, and I am watching them on the news, while the stories intertwine about civil rights history, presidents and precedents, and the formulation of new narratives and ways of speech. Exciting times for communicators!! ...as well as the movers and shakers of the world. I adore the emotion, the debate, the dialogue. It was wonderful to touch base with Michael and hear what it's like in his own backyard and to speculate that maybe they will make their way down tomorrow. It will be strange to be at work and have the whole world focused on the Mall...and yet fitting as well, as my job is my 'mission' and the call I hear is the same as all of us, fulfilling a Dream.

Yesterday's long run accomplished what I hoped, a 13+ miler that gave me a remembrance of what being on my feet for several hours and more is like. I was out a long time, but stopped for good stretches. The good news was how I managed stretches of road which usually kick my ass....between the first Publix on Sheridan, and out Dania Beach Blvd. Between the beach, over the intercoastal and to the Publix on Young circle. From there to the train station and the park path that takes me to Johnson. Each of these mini stretches had more strength, better rhythm to my stride. It still took me an inordinately long time, and played me out for the rest of the day. But it felt good to get out there and mark each part of the endeavor with a sense of accomplishment, all to remind me that on race day, Feb. 22, I will be capable of handling the half-marathon.

A new birth of freedom is Obama's inauguration theme. All the way through the run, I kep thinking, if he can make it to 44th President, I can make it through this run. If he can make it to this perfect place in history, I can manifest my own great dreams. If he can articulate a vision that people from all walks of life can hear, I can motivate those who cross my path. If he can keep hope alive during every dark day from his start, to his finish once taking the oath of office, then I can maintain my perspective and optimism every day at work.

The personal is highly problematic, and maybe there's no getting around the tribulations that people find themselves within. But I am so swept up into the wave of history I can hardly hear the complaints. Stand up, now, good people, and give a cheer. The freedom we win is within. The cloak of fears and frustrations can fall away. Give them away to the earth. Fling them out to the sky. Stand now, beautiful people, and ring in a new birth of freedom. And demonstrate your love in every step of the New Road.

No comments: