Thursday, January 17, 2008

If Paula can do it, so can I




After winning the NYC marathon (again), Paula Radcliffe heads back to her homeland in England to tackle winning the London marathon (again). Paula is my hero. In my fantasy of myself as 'super-runner' I picture myself as Paula....lean and long-legged, with those fluid, beautiful strides that eat up the miles....great-hearted determination taking her all the way in ahead of thousands and thousands of runners, and across the line.

I am 10 days out from Miami. Today was a relaxed 6-ish. After yesterdays drills, I feel sore and tired, and I'm not sleeping as well as I should. My caseload is maxed and I'm behind in paperwork. The constant din of clients needs is in my ear, waking me up at night with reminders in my head to do this, and that, and that...a sure sign that it's all bleeding through my boundaries.

In the back of every moment is that early morning alarm, and preparations to set off for the starting line....I am so ill-prepared, it seems, and yet, there's nothing more I can do to make it better. I put in the training, the time and effort, and in the last week to come, I hope to just take care of myself as best I can.

Whatever else the universe has cooked up for me, I trust it's benevolent. I call on those forces which have wisely guided me thus far to take me all the way in. The journey may be solitary, but it was necessary to build my strength, stamina and reserves...after this, truly ANYTHING is possible.

If Paula can do it, and thousands of other women who are sisters, daughters, mothers, lovers, friends....then so can I.

No comments: