Monday, December 23, 2013

Winter Solstice: We Welcome the Abundance of Hope

I woke before dawn, and when I made it over to Dania beach the first morning colors were just coming up over the ocean.  High winds were whipping the waves, but the air was clear and filled with the briny smells of everything washing up through the salty surf.  I took a gentle jog down the beach,  passing little knots of other folks huddling here and there- not as many as last year for the 2012, but clearly out like me to see the Solstice sunrise. 
By the time the goddess team arrived I'd began making the mandala, using the logical and abundant material- seaweed- and happy to join in the spontaneous dancing, drumming and meandering about that only a 3 year old brings! 
I made an inner circle around the 4 directions: I wanted something to symbolize the microcosm of our physical beings IN the world surrounded by the macrocosm of all that supports us OF the world, placed as we are in the BiGGER circles of the planets, sun and all life. 
So while goddess-in-training Naomi tries out Celeste's singing bowl,  and the candle, sage and various artifacts placed in the center,  we also state our hopes and prayers to place into the circle....
...as the sun rises.....
...and we end our little ceremony by closing the mandala/circle and leaving it for the beach to absorb.

Celeste and I both remarked on the contrast from last year to this:  from the dark pressures of the 2012 culmination point, through a challenging year,  to the lightness and joy this year!  Naomi said the sun was "happy"...and I agree....all up and down the beach,  the seagulls seemed excited and free,  the sun was bright and the water was full of diamonds glittering on the waves....

Sunday I took myself out on the Big Griffin loop and into the gorgeous day,  my heart full of those sparkling edges coming off the soles of my feet as I found a gait and ran more distance than I've done in a while...I was eager to see everything and feel the world come to me in the costume of 'ever-green' and verdant south Florida.  The knowing that my body was still capable of performing such a seemingly simple function- to run- filled me with gratitude and joy.  There is nothing like unfettered movement, out in beautiful Mother Nature,  to heal whatever hurts my heart.

I feel ready for my vacay break,  time to work on- and spend with- my space, and get ready for the unfolding of 'next chapters'...some known and some, I trust,  mysteries.  It used to be 'trepidation' when I thought about those future challenges. Now it's the raw enthusiasm an Aries gal like me can muster from that deep expeditionary impulse:  to go, to know, to see,  to feel myself Free to keep becoming what I am meant to be. 



No comments: