Monday, November 11, 2013

World Run Day 2013

Jim, on the left, may remember the exact year:  I have not run an official "World Run Day" since then.  It was shortly after this that Tom,  the big guy in the middle,  died of an alcohol-induced OD after some years clean.  Still hard to grasp:  and I miss him as much as ever.

It's hard to regroup after set-backs.  I pulled something (or bruised or cracked something?) under and in my rib cage doing 'relaxation' yoga (haha) Friday.  I ran a simple out and back Saturday,  not TOO bad,  then Sunday to pay homage to World Run Day,  got back up on the Griffin loop.  It was very uncomfortable,  and worse,  I can't take a full deep breath.  Today I had to give it up and give in:  sometimes a body just needs to stop and rest.  


...and take heed of the Big Picture.....

So I'm back to basics.  Plants-putzing out on the back porch as they bloom out in the short arc of the southern sun, especially Dad's orchids.  Absorbing news of the world while running the 'alternate program' of cozy and comforting home,  putting all my remedies to work:  ginger and turmeric,  quercitin,  aloe....cold-pack- having to 'sit on my hands' so as not to try more stretching, etc. and just ....let.... it ....be....


I always have such high hopes for running.  Like everything else in life,  I dream big:  convinced that like my other running buddies I will hit these big benchmarks and push myself into another race this winter, (at least a half, geez!)....and uneasy when I have to pause the tape (fear of losing progress, fitness....).   While a part of me refuses to 'settle' for moderate level outcomes,  I also realize the series of Stepping Stones involved to move forward.  What looks like 2 steps forward/20 steps back is only from my limited perspective.  It could be the Phillipines.  It could be anywhere else with a million other kinds of challenges....more dire than anything on my plate.

Here's to gaining perspective, gratitude and humility.  To the grace of time to have this rest,  and a moment to reflect... to appreciate Dad on Vet's day and knowing these orchids are just another means of linking us in our eternal bond and appreciation.  I know you're there, Dad, keep a good eye out for me, I'm keeping one on you!

No comments: