Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice Run 2011

After dreaming, again, about Obama, and my family, including a cameo by Mom who was not the one dead in this plot (someone else was...) I dragged my butt into my running gear and headed out into the humid early morning.  If you have not spent time in South Florida, you are unfamiliar with humidity here which feels like the air is a different element, and running in it like swimming, the feeling of moisture is so intense!  I kept my expectation low.  The walk/run up to my first pit stop felt surreal.  The crystalline quality of light, full on by then, seemed to refract through the moisture giving everything a hyper-realism, colors bright, and the impact of awakening buffered by an impression that I was still, somehow, in a dream.

The Longest Day comes upon us to open the way for the longer descent into the underworld, and the great build-up of manifest energy about to take flight into the unknown.   For one day, the perfect balance of light/dark, day/night is exquisitely present in a promise of abundance.  No matter where we think we are, we are held on the scales of poetic justice;  our dreams coalesced into the realities they are to become.

As I rounded out the loop and headed home, the heat of the day blasted me full on, and I walked a good bit of the last mile plus.   I felt my body struggle and try to shake off the shades of the night, even as my mind was still partly caught up in the dialogue with the dreams.  Our bodies are gifts to link us to this Earth, to feel what She feels as she lights up her days and rests in her nights.   The Solstice is Her reminder of All things in proper proportion, even as the moment slips over into the steady procession of the seasons.  Celebrate your body today, and give it the Nourishment it asks of you;  not just the food on your table, but the sustenance of your highest hopes. 

No comments: