Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday May Day Long Run


Despite the exhaustion, the mental fatigue from a 6 day full-client caseload stretch, I woke to a May morning bright with crystalline light, the early sunshine lining the material world with luminosity.   Within half an hour I was heading out Park, west, putting the full sun on my back and easing out the stiffness, after 2 days off.  My Friday and Saturday early starts take away my morning run window.  I could get up way earlier to pull it off, but sleep is a cherished commodity.  I am still doing 4 runs a week, and keeping Sunday long.  Not bad, and my base is slowly feeling more stable.  We'll see what opportunities present to up the mileage by and by.

On a morning like this, the hypnotic nature of clarity, of perfect circumstances, lifted me into the joy of the moving rhythm;  many good tunes rolling through 8Track, a great app if you haven't tried it.   Playlists of unknowns, mostly, great new stuff, all kinds, keeping my inner tempo like a gyroscopic modulator;  footfalls become musical beats and tones, rumbling through my gait.

I meandered over, up and around the Big Griffin loop, always glad to see that N 40 stretch, and the lovely oases of big growth landscape tucked in corners which beckon my dreams of my own compound,  the next place, a space to get lost in if needed, to find oneself, always, to dream into the future of course.

The Message of late seems to be...."all in good time, so relax..."  a mantra that for ambitious and intense folk like me,  always seems like a rather contraindicated prescription.  That said, I am certain that some mechanism also made a link, along with the insight, as if decades of constraints on my ability to relax, to not only see- but accept- the nature course of things, came into place.   Enough voices have persuaded.  It is time, now, to let it unfold. 

Never, on a run, do I bail, call a cab, cut it short.   I may be conservative about what I think I can do, and my runs, my mileage is indeed modest by most/some standards.  But each time I start out and decide "6 miler" "Griffin loop"  "beach circuit" etc.,  I am as committed to the endeavor as any explorer heading out on expedition.   It may kick my ass, or flow as smoothly as it did today, like a gift from the gods in every way possible.  But always, the run is there, it's own mini process of transformation and change.  So that by the time I walk back in the door, my feet are as light as my heart.

No comments: