Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Life After: Mother's Day '11

It's taken several days for me to find a voice about Mom, and life after.  On Mothers Day, I unplugged everything and waited out the influx of images, feelings and memories.  The Mom I knew once upon a time, and the Mom post-stroke, post-Dad were very different.  My ambivalence, sorrow and stress of these last years have not quite left me yet...there was nothing more sad than watching my parents deteriorate before me eyes.

I, too, have morphed into another Me.  And yet, the fundamental core of 'Mom' which infuses us, me and her, as the "someone" who gave life to someone else, is the same.  Women seem to inherently understand this, about themselves and their own moms...while men seem to struggle with what their obligations or contributions are in the scheme of things.  My someone, my son, will always back me, champion my cause, celebrate my every gain in life.  He will be there when I need him and leave me alone when I need space.  As he became a parent this year,  it is his turn to feel the magnetic pull of a child, and learn his own right way into this bond, while our darling Claire,  self-possessed little soul, makes her way into our hearts.

I set out for my Sunday long run that day full of feeling.  The May morning, bright, clear and already tinged with heat, rolled out before me as if to say "go anywhere you want."  I let my feet take the lead, and headed out Park and tackled my big Griffin loop, all the while grateful that my stride was good, and my energy intact, even after a 6 day work stretch.   I was the runner Mom would never be.  I was the full-time worker, counselor, writer, artist my Mom would always admire.  She gave me this:  the vision of herself way past her own capacity to manifest;  the independence of mind and soul, her awe and encouragement to become the woman I am today, and the courage to cope with and overcome....all our collective family obstacles.  

It's a debit each generation leaves to the next:  where we failed, where we left off....what dreams went unrealized, hopes which faded with age and disuse.... My legacy is the embodiment of Woman Power.  No one must give us permission to be who we really are, the manifest energy of the Greatest Mother of them All, and our Ultimate Role Model.   If it takes a warrior to conceive and birth worlds, then we are Warriors too. 

No comments: