Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Take You With Me

When I saw Mom on Sunday I had Shirley's set of photos from the fam in California to share...she knew most everyone, and got emotional at the pix of Butch in his dress suit and sunglasses striking a very 'Dad'-like pose.  The best part was a singer brought in her karaoke machine and old songs, and together we all sang and clapped....(well those who were awake/alert)...Mom and I clasped hands, and did a lot of smiling at each other. I was overcome with gratitude and emotion that I had this time with her still.

If my Dad were alive he would be ecstatic about little Claire, and my trip north!  Mom has a conflicted attitude about all the family now;  she doesn't like to 'bother' anyone, or initiate a call.  And yet, as the newly minted grandmama of the bunch I know I carry them with me into this experience.  Suddenly, I am the Elder, and get to watch my own son make his parental mark on the next generation together with his dear wife.  It will be a thrill to participate in this grand Dance, even if a short time;  but I feel very connected to the whole scene.

I am nostalgic that this time last year I was also preparing to travel north: for the Marine Corp marathon.  This year, I will hopefully get some training runs in, on that lovely trail Michael and I hit last year and enjoy what Fall has to offer a place with seasons.  Time away is also time with....and whether I am here, or there, the inner landscape is populated with caring souls.

Vitae has also been much on my mind.  Last year's race was my last time with him, as he made the trek from the Valley up to see me run, with the rest of my 'team'.  I will never forget the outpouring of love and support in the midst of his herculean effort to maintain the route, walking from point to point with the younger folk.   It seems the message he keeps sending is "LOVE....", he who always was - and still is- my spiritual father.

If we bring with us all whom we love, and those who love us, then each introduction is a meeting of many souls.  Claire, you are welcomed into a very big Family of connections;  and already cherished as our newly beloved!!  See you soon!

No comments: