Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Re-tuning




A clash of scheduling kept me off the roads yesterday, although at the first lull in the afternoon, I took off from the office and walked to Publix- probably about 3 miles there and back....walking like I couldn't go fast enough, just trying to envelop myself in some motion and peace...

Today, with the glitches in my ipod (hey Apple Inc, are you listening? How many ipods and earplug sets does it take to get it right??), I went out early, sans music. This month's issue of Runner's World has much about running as meditation, and I realized it's been awhile since I really focused on any of my Hathor material. I woke from a dream of getting ready to run...somewhere...with endless permutations about what I was wearing, the weather etc. I am so glad when I actually woke up, had my clothes laid out, saw the perfect weather and got out the door in short order. The temp was just warm enough for me to be comfortable in shorts and tank top, and the sun came in and out of the clouds drifting in gray bunches across the early morning skies.

Two days off running is becoming a pattern now, as I continue to nurse my hip. But the loss of steady endurance has kept my miles low. Somehow, today though, I could feel my engines revving, and after a nice steady stretch to Anderson Park decided to take the long way home up 56th and Emerald Hills Drive. I never know why one day is great and another not. But today, all the factors came together; I cruised up to take the corner east and felt like it has been so long since I saw all that scenery...the traffic was frustrating, but as I rounded out into the neighborhoods again, the tranquility enveloped me in a cocoon of peace, and my gait smoothed out.

I focused on form, never my strong suit- and meditating on the geometric images that place me inside the crystalline structures of light the Hathors talk about. The feeling of a cone rising from the core of the earth through me and into the "Celestial Soul", of me, of the earth, of the center of the galaxy is very liberating. The inner motion counter-balances the forward movement of the run, and at times, I get that micro-minute feeling of lightness, of ease, like flight, that comes when it all gets in sync.

I was really pooped out when I came out by TY park; I walked the last stretch to ease the soreness, and by the time it was all done, felt pretty good. Mentally, I knew I needed to 'blow out' the stress and tension that has me on it's roller coaster ride. The feeling of spring for me is always fraught with this slight mania, this inner irritation to GET someplace, knowing at the same time that the 'place' I strive for is not physical- never is....

Running is an exercise of going somewhere- and coming back. Mysteriously it always aims me at that 'place' whether I capture it on the edges or dead on. Today was a gift. I had it like a gem in my soul, almost as soon as I began. A run like that takes all the pain away, and lights the fire back in my soul.

Dalai Lama and the Buddha on PBS tonight. Check for times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your tutorial last week! After I read it, I re-read your posts and understood a lot better.

Dealing with loss has not impacted me for many years, but recently I took a hard hit also. Running and keeping active can soften the edge for brief periods. Time is probably the best cure, though counting on that seems to disrespect your departed loved one. But we have to get past it to survive and enjoy our lives. I think our loved one would want it that way. As we were so strongly reminded, our time here is very limited. A lost year is a big piece of our lives.

I need a day off after a good run to regenerate and build, and I still almost always get a race award, even with every other day a rest day. (I admit it may be slightly too much rest). Cross training is a good filler. When I'm rested, I do killer workouts! And that makes me competitive in my age group. Take it easy, get that hip in shape, and enjoy many more years of running!
Jim

Right Brain Runner said...

Jim, very sweet reply, you are my 'biggest blog fan'! I'm inspired by all the runners I meet who persevere with their training throughout the ups and downs of life we all experience....I hope like u to be a lifelong runner..and keep writing.
thanks again!!