Monday, April 12, 2010

Running Contingencies


Keeping my eye on today is about all I'm capable of. And today, I think I'll go for a run.

-John Bingham, "Back to the Future," Runner's World


At Gold's gym, the treadmills were empty for an early rainy morning. I have a hate/hate relationship with this method of getting in a run. The images of "hamster in a cage", "lab rat" comes to mind as I'm forced to watch whatever is broadcasting on any given TV screen or the others working out. My anthropological mind gets stuck on the preposterous notion of human beings inventing this means of achieving what we think of as "physical fitness" which is as far from the outdoors and nature as we can get.

If it accomplishes anything, it's to remind me how visual a runner I am. As an artist, I am a perception hound; the visual world is interesting to me. Nature, in particular, offers herself up to me in Her glorious disarray of forms and textures, lights and shadows. When out on a run, I never tire of exploring the neighborhoods, roadways, parks I like to frequent. It's the stimulation of being out under the big skies and in the middle of weather; winds, sun, early dawns, late afternoons, and the capacity to 'melt' into the environment. To merge myself into something bigger than me, to lose myself for a little while in physical motion. To release my mind. To follow my inner storyline....to think, create, dream.

If I invented a fitness center, it would be built around a courtyard garden. All the 'treadmills', or the future equivalent, would point to view the garden and outside grounds. There would be fantastic artwork everywhere. No TV's. Music stations with any Pandora's box style radio station at the ready. Meditation and yoga studios. Martial arts. A library and internet cafe with a whole foods cook.

If I ruled the world, it would look more like my dreams which always seem to hint at some parallel world far distant or past- hard to tell. In this world, things make sense on the human level. People are drawn into communities of souls. The environment sings. Health and healing are integral. And suffering is conquered.

So back to the reality of the moment. My 5 miles at the gym are accomplished. I don't know what I will walk into today at work, but I'm determined to keep my professionalism intact- and as always, I look forward to seeing my clients, who aim for some kind of change in a heartless world. I strive to bring my alternate vision to the work of my hands, mind and heart. I will maintain my integrity and remember that even if I can't see it, the Powers that Be are moving things along. Time takes time.

No comments: