Saturday, June 27, 2009

All Things Must Pass Away...



Yes, I've been watching non-stop news and music videos on BET, MTV, VH1, MSNBC; I admit I am a news junkie. I needed to immerse myself in all things Michael Jackson as I took a walk down the memory lane of my early adulthood. Dancing in CeeCee and Rick's living room while Richard played DJ, to Thriller, to every amazing MJ song we had between us, living large in our souls, feeling the ecstasy of pure connection through the music, the movement, the heart. The all night parties at Bennington, where R&B was the music of preference, and I learned to love all the artists of soul. Finding my own rhythm, my own courage on the heels of artists who had the courage to live large, find their voice, give us the vision....

So when I woke up this morning, I knew I hadn't slept enough, but I needed to run anyway. Brutal heat was on its way, but at sunrise, the last wisps of coolness still hug the roadways, and I soaked it all up on my way up the overpass heading north to cut to Stirling, Angler's Ave to Publix. It was a quiet and slow stretch..I was still stuck in my head, half dreaming....

The middle slog over Griffin and down 40th was tougher, as I got hot, tired and struggled to find a good gait. But somehow, even after a brief walk break coming up to the 56th Ave. intersection at Sheridan, I began to settle down. Hydrating at Anderson Park, I headed east, picking up Park for the long straight open stretch that allows me to leave the thinking behind....and that was when I found the peace I craved...the space that opened up as my legs began to find a rhythm, stopped protesting, carried my heart so it could expand on the morning air. I know the moment comes upon us without control; the beginning, the end, the grace of unexpected miracles or tragedies. Who can predict the impact our triumphs or follies will have on the rest of the world? I honor the Teachers who came to tell us to remember how to go on, with or without permission, a straight road, team support. Who blaze their solitary trails channeling the Voice of Love, our connection, reverberations like pebbles in open water, expanding in circles beyond us....

I loved how MJ was on everyone's mind (well mostly)....and the music was pouring from radios...it was streaming out of mine. They are moving on ahead, waiting to be called on for inspiration as those of us who stay behind hold them in our hearts. Thank- you Michael, for showing me how to dance, find my groove, and persevere in the face of destruction to my own redemption. You will be remembered. You will be loved.

No comments: