Sunday, June 24, 2007

setbacks and disappointments

My overconfidence has cost me; its feeling like a stress fracture in the same foot I injured before. I knew it wasn't right on the way to 17th St. Causeway, but I'd made up my mind. I was a mile shy of returning when I had to stop- and walk. A first. All the research is pointing to this...even pool running today was tough if I put too much pressure down on that foot. The pendulum is taking me to the other side of things, it seems, in many ways, with challenges unforseen. It's a blow to my tough resolve to find myself back in a fight to overcome what I thought I'd come out of, a certain plateau of function and ability. Whether its physical, emotional or spiritual, it never comes easy to me. And what most people take for granted and maybe even in me, is thinking its always there, the happiness, the capacity, the endurance to survive and strive. I know its more delicate than that. And a certain amount of luck and timing is involved. So it seems. There is only so much preparation and effort we put in to our training, before factors beyond our control changes outcomes. What happens, is a healing process. And after that, more work. It's over when we stop. But I can continue, one way or another, to find my way.

No comments: