Monday, August 8, 2011

Sunday Beach Run 8-7-11

TS Emily skirted our shores dumping much needed rain Saturday night and lulling me into false security as I woke Sunday to see overcast skies.  Without direct sun I decided to trot east towards the beach and visit the ocean for my long run loop.  I greatly under-estimated, once again, the power of humidity to lay a runner low.   I bench marked the major cross streets until hitting the first of the 2 overpasses on the last stretch when I began to feel nauseous and light-headed.  On all my usual loops I make it a point to hit some hydration early on.  But this time, I skipped the Publix, and this was 4 miles in more or less.  I felt embarrassed as older, faster runners loped on by, and I walked on up the first overpass to stop and enjoy the Intercoastal.  One more overpass and I cruise into North Park and the ocean,

The light is deeply mysterious early in the morning when squally weather has been around.  The shades of blues and greys can hardly be identified as they blur and blend into the atmosphere.  The ocean seems to swallow the light as morning seems 'suggested'...I hung out a bit,  took some photos and drank plenty of water.

I hit that Publix on the way back, and took my electrolytes.   By the time I limped home, it felt like 10 pounds of moisture was carried in my clothes;  I felt humbled yet triumphant that finally I made it over to the beach, even if it was shy of my usual long loop distance.  Clearly, it's not always about how far you decide to go, but what you go through along the way.

The only one putting any pressure on me is myself.  I am deeply grateful that so much of my life has fallen into a rhythm of routine, something that works well for me.  Whatever I can do independent of outside demand will call up my best assets, the ability to call upon the  skills and resources I need to execute my professional responsibilities.  Personally, the journey I take to transform past hurts into clear connection continues.  Running is a dialogue with the elements, and I will never be wholly independent of the Forces of Mother Nature in Her quest to Express Herself, regardless of my training inclinations.   This inter-connection is the mystery that pulls me back each time just to discover what Adventures await. 

No comments: