Saturday, January 1, 2011

Chapters Close/Open: RIP Mom

This is the 4th time I've tried to write this..its early morning 1-1-11, and I couldn't sleep.  I wanted to get an homage up for Mom before I lost steam...already lost my earlier entries, so here goes again:

Alice M Kaufman Cowen, born Feb 20, 1921, died Dec 31, 2010.  She was just shy of the New Year, and her 90th birthday.  What began as 'trouble breathing' became her door out, and she did it pretty peacefully.  

This is her High School photo.  My mom, always the beauty.  Last visit she said to me "I was the smart one."  Beauty and brains.  The entire dynamic of our relationship has been how 2 similarly smart women were defined by their generations.  For Mom it was marriage, 4 kids, 9 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren, various job/career attempts, and her vast connection to her large extended family and circle of friends.  Many of whom still kept up about her right to the end.   My mom who survived my dad, her sisters and all other elder relatives, the last.   She admired my independence.  I couldn't fathom her patience with things I came to admire after her stroke.  Last visit we agreed "I guess we gotta go with the flow."

The nurse told me that moment of clarity is very common, a last rally.  I'm glad I got to share it;  I had her focus in the ER before I realized finally that the fixed stare had not moved...and it was only a matter of time between then and her final passing in a bed upstairs.

I write this because its cathartic for me, and for the out of towners who may not make it in.  I write, too, just to extend the time a bit to be with her and by extension my dad, who I imagine are enjoying a well-deserved reunion.  We said goodbye to Vitae this year too, so I can add the reassurance of an extra guiding hand if needed.

Alice Cowen, you lived a very long and productive life.  You braved through trials and tribulations that those in my generation would hardly handle- you taught me how to accept and embrace life no matter what.  We wish you safe and swift travels on your spirit journey, dearest soul.  I stand with all my family members and your vast circle of friend, in wishing you Welcome Home.....!  Go and lay down all your pain and burdens.  You are Free at last.

Love you always Mom....
xoxoxoxoxo

No comments: