Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday run




Hot and humid with a subtle sweep of breezes; once the sun hits, the temps soar. Even out at 7:30 AM brings its challenges, but determination was key to hitting the roads this morning.

I took it nice and easy. Walked until warmed up, a gentle cruise through Emerald Hills and first stop at Winn-Dixie. (It's nice to have so many places to stop, thanks to all the grocery stores...). Cutting up from Stirling to Griffin, I had some rhythm, some stamina even if it was low-key. The stillness of the Sunday neighborhoods are my favorite; the absence of distraction places me squarely in the atmosphere of Nature, and I soak it up through the footfalls, the breath that moves me along.

Second stop, Publix on Griffin and a long enough break to consider my options; straight through the trailer park? Or take the long way, over towards Angler, down 29th? I loved that I had all the time in the world, so I chose the long way, and took measured doses of running and walking all the way back to Sheridan. Ran the overpass, barely. Finished out the last walk feeling tired but relaxed. Maybe 7-8 miles total? An impressive amount even if it did take me a very long time.

To have lowered- and changed- expectations, to be okay with slow, with walking, any degree of movement is still daunting. But all in all, today's run gave me a boost. Nature isn't going anywhere, and as along as I stay 'plugged in' there is still the possibility of rebuilding enough base to make running comfortable, challenging, satisfying...without killing myself!

Today I celebrate what my aging body gave me, in the smooth ride through the hills of Hollywood, and the opportunity to be with myself, inside my own emotional landscape.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The overpasses are the hills in this neck of the wood! You've got a great attitude!

Jim