Monday, September 10, 2007

longer and longer

Now that I'm topping 40 miles a week (last week I made 45!), I am increasing the length of the long runs. A few weeks ago, I managed 16 miles from the bottom of Bill Baggs State Park at Key Biscayne, to the top of Rickenbacker, and back. Wow. That is a story in itself. An amazing odessey. This past Saturday was 14, from the house straight west through the local 'hood, past 441, all the way to University- and back. Cutting through the Seminoles along a lovely stretch with trees- and shade. It feels like my endurance keeps improving, although I'm doing these long runs in the middle of heat, so its hard to tell. I signed up for the Deerfield Beach practice race in October, 30k, which should give me the last good sense of what real distance will feel like under race conditions. If I survive, then I promise myself to register for Miami.

The heaviness and intensity of emotional pressure seems to be lifting, with the shift in temps....or is it just me?? When I go out at 7AM, there's actually a hint, a presence of coolness in the air...the sun just kissing the horizon line, as the traffic follows me up and over the short bridge and on to my 8 miles. I don't know how it will happen, those 26+, I still can't get my mind around it. But the 8, 10 and longer are coming just a little easier. And the longer I go, the more I seem to want to stay out, just testing the limits now, testing my own strength of mind. It's all a mind game now. How much can I endure? I have taken in so much of the challenge in life. This is just one more.

No comments: