Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mother Nature, Up close and Personal

While the planetary forces exert themselves, I run a 14 miler today, Wow! And pick up on the farthest flung threads of Hurricane Dean's reach, brisk, breezy winds, a short squally shower, sun flitting in and out of fast moving cloud swirls....She races to Jamaica, while Erin now floods Oklahoma, sorry Marlon, and let's not forget the earthquakes, Peru and Indonesia...tho I'm not hearing about that one much,??
Suddenly things have been happening that seemed on the 'menu' for some time, and so it looks like 'earth changes' are going to be part of the script. OK. Then pushing into it will be too, and I could feel that today, despite heat index temps in the 90's.....I took the first stretch, after a bobble around Taft, straight on to University....must be a 6 miler?, then up Davie Rd extension, getting lost at the intersection of corners, I find a back stretch between Sheridan and Stirling, lucky break, it takes me all the way to the Seminoles....and back up to Stirling, great stretch. i hit the little squall in here, just a few minutes, then gone. Over the highway, last break to re-hydrate, then the last big ride all the way along Stirling until I turned to home. I was going to loop all the way to 95....but at this point, I had all the heat I was going to handle. The shoes did great. My feet were sore, but it was tolerable. My legs were heavy, but I could keep the pace and put a little kick at the end, as usual.
Jamaica is preparing for Dean, and I'm looking out over sun-spilled green, ready to crash and watch what else is going on, what touches the outskirts of my world.
My squall, that cooled me outside the Seminole stretch, is on its way around, back to the Carribean. And another arm, of thunder, rain and gusty winds, is gathering itself to fling up to our neighborhood. All in good time.
I need to be part of that atmospheric movement....I run into the air, I push into the winds.....I let myself fall into the arms of the changing day.

No comments: